When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Farm Fresh 1967 Raleigh Sprite S5 Five Speed

-

3-speeder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I picked up this bike a while ago and will be starting on it soon. Look for it in Project Rides. The bike came off of a small farm in northern Michigan and my gf and I made a nice trip out of picking it up. Ahhh the pre-covid days.... Any way... Here are some photos. Look at all that beautiful dust, nicely preserving what lies underneath. Maybe even a bit of sawdust on there. Pretty nice shape actually and should clean up well. I'll get into more of the story in the project thread. ....and I'll get that bird's bill bent back right

-----

Thanks very much for sharing this find; shall look forward to following along whenst the spanner twisitn' commenceth.

What manner o' cowhide dost thee envision for it, B LXVI perchance?

Did not know that you had something in common with @Oilit ; you both have "bombers" on the grounds of your respective estates.

-----

It looks like the S5 hub shell is still there at least. Maybe he's just missing the bell crank and push rod? You'd just need a shifter and cable at that point. I suppose one could pull the guts and try to put in an AW within the S5 shell. But it could be whoever owned it just gave up on the non-drive side stuff. It still is a 3-speed because the S5 is actually 2 three-speeds in one, though one gear (the middle) is common between the two threes.

Correct - 1967 very likely would be the original sheet metal version. There was a second version that was more substantial. Unless you absolutely have to use the "original" equipment, use the second version.

I have had this one hanging up in the basement for almost two years while new projects bumped it to the bottom of the list. In that time I have picked up the parts to return it to a 5-speed including both styles of the bell crank, a push rod and NOS dual shifter levers with cables and braces. Look for pics as soon as I get the project thread started. If any of you have ever searched for or bought those parts you know that I have more $ into the parts than I paid for the bike and also more than the bike is worth but for me it's a labor of love not an investment. I have another 67 Sprite the same as this one but it has much cleaner decals and paint. My theory is that that bike looks better due to it having been parked soon after purchase with a bent fork and slightly crunched down tube. That bike is also a 23" and with a straight replacement fork it rides nicely and shifts through all gears. It does have the sheet metal bell crank and is fenderless for now (front fender was toast).

For a saddle I have a Brooks "Aged" B67 that I've been saving for this bike. Hoping that I'll like the look of it when mounted. Sure looks good out of the box.

As far as the cat, his name is Kitten and you can see his portfolio posted not long ago in the previously mentioned thread. He's a real treat. :smileycat:

Last edited:
Yes, I fully understand that pain of parts. Mine was missing the shifters so I paid $$$ for this NOS shifter on the bay. BUT it’s going to look awesome when it’s done. Just like yours will! :)

BDC22019-D758-41A2-8479-254DC9E8FDFF.jpeg

Back