When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fastback With An S2 Rear Wheel

-

1966fastbacks

Finally riding a big boys bike
Would like to build a hot rod Fastback. Any thoughts on swapping the rear wheel for a S2 and the wider rear fender. Don't have a wheel or i would try it. 1 3/8" front and 2 1/8" rear might look cool.

I have a Dyno Moto-Glide like this one (except mine is the earlier 1999 Dyno model) with a 26X2.125 front and 24X3 rear, and I think a fat rear tire on a Fastback would look cool.

DYNO-moto-glide5.jpg

Last edited:
The wider parts won't fit into a Fastback frame. You might be better off putting a FB fork and wheel on a regular Stingray frame.

BTW - why would you want to make a Stingray look like a Huffy Rail?? :)

I had a 20x2.125 slick in the back of a Fastback frame before, it fit but I don't think you could run a fender. I'm trying to find some pictures.

Not S2 but similar with modern 2.125 similar to a slick. Not Schwinn fenders. Came equipped with these fenders & wheels. Wheel needs to be very true but just enough room for proof of concept. Planning to make this a 5 speed again but with an S2 out back.

Edit: this is a '66 fastback coincidentally. If using a single cog in back you may need to fool around with different size cogs to get proper clearance by sliding the axle toward the rear to get the tire at the widest gap in the chainstays. ;)

I'm running a 52T chainring and 22T rear cog.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... interesting. I have a single speed Fastback, but no Stingrays/Krates. After seeing these pics with the fatter wheel in the back, not sure the fat tire is an improvement on the "look" of a Fastback... I think if I wanted a fat tire in the back, I'd buy a Stingray. Just an opinion. :)

I built mine this way because all the 5speed fastback stuff had been removed and replaced with these wheels at some point. Looks much better in riding condition than a pile waiting for "correct" parts.

As found

Back