When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fat City Cycles - Slim Chance - Chris Chance Custom

-

the freewheeler

Finally riding a big boys bike
Fat City Cycles Slim Chance road bike, built by modern mountain biking pioneer, Chris Chance.

The newest bike to my collection! Bought this from a fellow CABE-er and am absolutely in love with this bike. Chris Chance, most recognized for his Yo Eddy Fat Chance mountain bikes got his start in custom road bike building in the 1970's. After making his breakthrough and establishing Fat City Cycles, he briefly began rebuilding road bikes in the early 1990's. This is one of the 90's bikes, but I'm unsure of the exact story on this one.

Chris' style is iconically eccentric, so I was very surprised to find this very plain-looking black Slim Chance. I do know that he built 10 Mavic spare support bikes for the professional racing season, and this bike shares those Mavic colors. I'd like to believe that this is one of those 10 bikes. I'll do some more research to figure out more info. Until then, enjoy the pictures!

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

From good ol Massachusetts. Got to go to his shop way back before he closed it. Was nice to see demos of them welding TI frames. Quality workmanship for sure.

From good ol Massachusetts. Got to go to his shop way back before he closed it. Was nice to see demos of them welding TI frames. Quality workmanship for sure.

When did he move out to California? Awesome that you got to meet him where it all started.

It's definitely quality work...I've only been able to take down the street, but the ride quality is amazing. I've always wanted a high end classic road bike to take out every so often in lieu of my full carbon bike and this thing fills those needs perfectly.

Yes sir! The decal is half-rubbed off on the back, unfortunately, and its length is totally maxed out because of my awkwardly long legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Fat Chance Wicked hanging in the shed, but I have always wanted an original Slim Chance. Your's looks like it's in great shape.

Thanks. Yep, I got very lucky...it's in fantastic shape. Paint, decals and components are close to perfect. I actually got the last part for the bike today, some vintage Ringle skewers. I'll try to post a photo update soon.

Last edited:
When did he move out to California? Awesome that you got to meet him where it all started.

It's definitely quality work...I've only been able to take down the street, but the ride quality is amazing. I've always wanted a high end classic road bike to take out every so often in lieu of my full carbon bike and this thing fills those needs perfectly.
Did he move here? I know he was out here getting a bunch of frames built.

Back