When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Father & Son project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This Post really brings out the Difference in Generations and TV show lingo to me.
I am of a different Generation than you and your son. But simple language has been changed to Slang lately or just Email talk.

Rustoration. Looked it up and it brings up American Pickers.
Patina. Can you really De-Rust without removing the original Patina?
Rust Removal- It is really Never removed. We just knock down the big stuff.
That Being Said- Had to look that up. Most of the time it makes no sense in statements
Pop- American Picklers
Flip- TV Lingo
Pick - American Pickers
LBS- Local Bike Shop.

We look at the pictures you post and someone says. WOW FAST TEAR DOWN. How do your pictures really give us an idea of how many minutes or hours it took to Disassemble the bike?
Mens Pedals.. I never knew there were Mens Pedals, Womens Pedals, Kids Pedals, Etc.

My Dad and I would buy stuff and Clean it up before we would resell the item. He would always say. We have to clean it up because the old owner was too lazy to clean it up. The new buyer will be too lazy to clean it. But the buyer will pay more because it shines and the windows are clean.

I think it is great that you and your son are able to do something like this. I appreciate people who do this stuff. I think it keeps old values alive.
I am just pointing out some stuff as I read them. I know someone will attack my simple statements here. Hope it makes them feel good.

Good Luck on your little project.
Thanks for Sharing.

Not attacking. Just clarifying...

Rustoration--Didn't know where the term had come from. I just remembered hearing it and thought it fit here.
Patina--Doesn't mean rust. Rust is rust and to me anyways, patina is originality. Original paint, scratches, worn spots, etc.
Rust Removal--Sure we won't be able to remove all of it, but we will be able to hopefully remove 75% of it or more.

Here's a before and after of my Luxury Liner as an example.

Here you see rust:
photo3-vi.jpg

Here you don't. I used an oxalic acid bath and aluminum foil to remove it. I did this over two years ago. I live on the coast and I have seen no signs of it returning. However, it still shows it's scars and wear or what I refer to as patina.
IMG_0186.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 166
And I did not do my fender braces when I went through the bike. I still need to do that. I'm just having too much fun riding the dang thing! Lol

Ahhh the Roadmaster i sold you greg that came out great you gave it a second chance in life, i remember pulling it out of a barn. Rusty or clean its your bike and your choice of what you do to your bike!!

We look at the pictures you post and someone says. WOW FAST TEAR DOWN. How do your pictures really give us an idea of how many minutes or hours it took to Disassemble the bike?
Mens Pedals.. I never knew there were Mens Pedals, Womens Pedals, Kids Pedals, Etc.
Oh, and I forgot to address this. The pictures don't really show the exact time it took us to tear down the bike but my son is wearing the same shirt and the lighting from the open garage door is the same so I think it was just someone's assumption. Total tear down time (with me explaining how stuff works along the way) was about 35 minutes.

And yes, there are different kinds of pedals. Women's pedals are shorter than men's pedals. Same can be said for handlebar grips and saddles among other things.

A couple of real nice rustoration projects ,Greg. Patina on the Roadmaster is perfect. That being said, don't leave junior alone with that, he'll have that apart in no time!

And then, the rims. They were completely covered in surface rust all the way around. Under the rim strips on the inside, they were pretty flakey. The bath took them down to bare metal again. I was hoping for some sort of a finish, whether they were painted or chrome, I didn't care. I wasn't really expecting bare metal. So now it looks like we're going to have to paint these. We will most likely go with an off-white color.

IMG_5506.jpg

IMG_5518.jpg

Back