When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fauber Crankset History

-
Happy new year to all of you guys ,

I've got this sproket on the TOC bike , I' ve been buzy restoring for years

U can see all details here https://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=25303

do you think it's a Fauber Star one , and idf so , from which year ?

blu pédalier d.jpg

blu D3.jpg

That's a pretty bike and a pretty crank set, Jean Marie!

But while the star pattern looks like a Fauber star, the crank design isn't like a Fauber at all. The Fauber was a one-piece crank and an interchangeable chain ring attached with four screws. In fact even the bicycle's frame was different to accommodate a Fauber crank. The bottom-bracket hanger was larger, with slight cut outs on the sides to allow the one-piece crank to snake through.

I ride a bike with a 30T Fauber chain wheel which I made ride-able with a 12T back sprocket (NOT the 6T scorcher sprocket in the bottom picture!). I didn't know Faubers went up to 32T. We Americans sure loved our big gears; hills and knees be damned! I actually have two 30T Fauber chain wheels, plus one 24T star pattern.

Paul Rubenson

Hi Waffenrad ,

thx a lot for you valuable comments ;
my 28 teeth sprocket star pattern is a bit different from the actual Fauber Star ones we can see on this post :
- only 3 holes on each leg of the star, like your 26 teeth , when a 32 teeth has got 4 holes ; this is probably due to the outer diameter influence
- the foot of the 5 legs seem thinner on mine
- there are no " excressencies" on the outer diameter between the teeths
- the holes for assembly on the crank seem asymetric , as can be seen on the reverse side

it may be a copy made in France, based on the Fauber design , or it's an actual Fauber one , made on specific design for export to Europe

regarding the crank, you may know that the patented one piece crank is pretty uncommon on the TOC french bikes ; who knows why ...

so , it's not strange that the TOC french bike builders may have bought a special version Fauber sprocket , or modified a standard one to fit their habits , or simply made a local copy .....
may be we'll never know

what I've seen is an toc add that says great western mfg. we also make faber 1 piece cranks and fittings :rolleyes:

I worked on a teens-twenties tandem that had Fauber-style cranks that were definitely not made by Fauber. The parts, sizes, and thread pitches were interchangeable, but the quality, finish, and design was definitely not Fauber. My suspicion is that once Fauber's patents ran out other makers adopted the standard. If Fauber didn't exercise good trademark and copyright control, I can imagine other makers using their name in a generic way, like 'Kleenex' or 'Frigidaire.'

Hi Waffenrad ,

thx a lot for you valuable comments ;
my 28 teeth sprocket star pattern is a bit different from the actual Fauber Star ones we can see on this post :
- only 3 holes on each leg of the star, like your 26 teeth , when a 32 teeth has got 4 holes ; this is probably due to the outer diameter influence
- the foot of the 5 legs seem thinner on mine
- there are no " excressencies" on the outer diameter between the teeths
- the holes for assembly on the crank seem asymetric , as can be seen on the reverse side

it may be a copy made in France, based on the Fauber design , or it's an actual Fauber one , made on specific design for export to Europe

regarding the crank, you may know that the patented one piece crank is pretty uncommon on the TOC french bikes ; who knows why ...
View attachment 1132306

so , it's not strange that the TOC french bike builders may have bought a special version Fauber sprocket , or modified a standard one to fit their habits , or simply made a local copy .....
may be we'll never know
You could have a search on Tontonvelo forums for your chainring.
It also appears quite unusual for a French chainring as most of them were broadly speaking of two styles.
Either bolt-on a la Fauber, or screw on (RH thread) with a separate lock ring (LH thread).
I have a few of both types.

Back