When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fauber Crankset Removal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SuperDirtMan

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey all,

I've been struggling on-and-off with the crankset on my project. I'd at least like to remove it to regrease the bearings, but at this point I'll probably have to replace the retainer for the dustcap. I've tried to use a metal punch with a hammer, and even with that I haven't had any progress. Is fire the only option at this point?

Worth asking: the threading on the NDS is right-hand, correct? Or have I been working in the wrong direction?

Any adivce?

Thanks.

I think Non-drive side is lefthand thread if I recall correctly It's been awhile, but here are the pics of all of the parts disassembled. Maybe you can discern from that? Do you have an appropriately sized pin spanner?

Here's the culprit in question. I don't have the specific wrench for it; I do have a SPA-1 from Park tool, although I'm not sure if its up to the task. I'm not sure if that would help too much though.
IMG_5058.jpg

Worth asking: the threading on the NDS is right-hand, correct? Or have I been working in the wrong direction?
Dear SuperDirtMan:
Sorry, but I don't know the answer. I do know that there are only two possibilities. If banging on it one one direction doesn't work, try the other direction. You won't do much more damage than you've already done. And, of course, soak it with your favorite rust defeater. Good luck and have fun!

Belated update:

I was able to get it off. The trick: an appropriately-sized punch, and just wailing on it. All it took, it seemed.

As to anyone else struggling with their Fauber BB, perseverance is key.

Belated update:

I was able to get it off. The trick: an appropriately-sized punch, and just wailing on it. All it took, it seemed.

As to anyone else struggling with their Fauber BB, perseverance is key.
And..... Which direction? Can't stand the suspense!

Back