When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fear and Loathing in Wheel Lacing

-

Mack the fork

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hail, all ye intrepid Cabers !

It has been some time since I last had to beg access to the “ All Things Schwinn “
brain trust ; yet here we are again.

I am building an all prewar Klunkenstein Bomber/ Hot Rod with all the good, tasty bits ( Excelsior badged 1940 DX )

However, I’m going to need some help on the wheel build/spoke specs.

I will be using a late 1930’s Morrow rear coaster hub and a large flange, “phone dial” Pork Chop drum; BOTH will be laced to postwar S2 ballooner rims.

MEASUREMENTS FOR SPOKE LENGTH CALCULATIONS:

Rear Morrow Hub: 56.0mm diameter
(measured at spoke hole centers).

Front Pork Chop Hub : 95.0mm diameter (measured at spoke hole centers).

Schwinn S2 Rims - Inside Diameter
( pinstriped side ) : 21 3/8” or
approx. 542.925 mm

I plan on using double butted stainless steel spokes of average gauge.

My questions:

1) What will be the spoke lengths for the Pork Chop front ?

2) What will be the spoke lengths for the Morrow coaster rear ?

3) What would be an appropriate, average gauge stainless spoke for S2 rims ?

4) What would be the optimal spoke pattern for this build ?

5) Where can I get the best price/value
to buy those spokes ?

Thanks all , and Merry Christmas !

You might investigate Huskybikes.com for spokes. I got 11 ga spokes and nipples quickly and fairly inexpensive.

I once laced up a set of wheels for a motorcycle, my first crack at the job. I found it to be an enjoyable and satifying job. Mind you I was working with all new factory components and had the old wheels to copy, so there was no guessing.

I was later asked by a friend to repair a Dunlop wire wheel for his wife's series one Jaguar E type as a few spokes had snapped. I declined that job as I new she was prone to really winding that thing up on a Saturday night... too scary if you got it wrong as it would have to be perfect.

Back