When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

February '64 Coppertone find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It's an Rb1 nonred stripe that was used before rb2's came out...
Well, that’s news to me.

I’ve bought, sold and owned many 63 / 64 Stingrays over 40+ years and every rear hub was a “single red band“ Bendix unit just as the manufacturer information shows with dates.

62779F2D-7132-4AE2-95C9-73483F1963EE.jpeg

64FD7B75-0172-48C0-B1DA-C5BDF757B83B.jpeg

4E6E91F8-ECA7-44D9-8192-5C32A2DB2BA4.jpeg

There is no way a '64 Stingray would have that hub. There were 2 versions of the red bad out at that time . I know Schwinn would use up there leftover parts but this hub would have been long used up by '64. @razinhellcustomz I will need to see another example of a Stingray with one on it before I will buy into it being original. Who knows what happened to this bike through out it's life.

Last edited:
This Bendix 28 hole hub came off a 1961 24inch tiger, had S2 rims. Is it a RB1?

View attachment 1688501

View attachment 1688502
No. I believe the RB designation literally meant Red Band...and I don't think it was stamped on anything until the the revision of the hub came out(RB2). Stamp had to be there so that you knew not to mix smaller diameter parts.This is the RB.

There were quite a few variations to the Bendix hub from 46 to 61 and I believe that one was still referred to as the 'Flying B'.....variations on oil caps, finishes, stamps/no stamps, and bevels at the flanges. I believe that slanted bevel with no oil cap is the latest version. You'll see quite a few differences in brake arm stamping too....and guess what, the arms all unbolt and interchange to help make things more confusing if you happen to lay them apart on the bench at the same time. Ask me how I know! Internals do not interchange from RB2 on, you'll notice the different part numbers in @60sstuff Bendix manuals.

This hub was off of what I'm guessing to be a 50ish Columbia. I didn't take it off so I can't confirm age, but its just to show that there are differences. Maybe you can tell from this picture that the flanges are smooth and round in the corners.

If you're not confused enough yet...let's bring up the Mattatuck hub used on early Fair Ladies....maybe that's what Raisin is thinking of

I'd say the wheels on this Coppertone Stingray were just added later, probably from a mid level model ballooner, since they're 28 spoke. Still great rims to have! The correct 36 spoke center stamped S2 will be much harder to find, let alone proper condition for the bike.

Back