When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FedEx has a new line of work!

-

REC

I live for the CABE
In Memoriam
A short while back, Bob U had that gorgeous restored '38 Canti with the double duty for sale here on the forum. I missed it the first time, but when it went back up again, I already had my mind made up that I wanted to be the next owner. It took a day or so to work it out, but I did.

Bob said that he would pack it well, and I would not have another "Aerocycle Drama" with FedEx. Truth be told, he was pretty serious. They brought it yesterday (Wednesday), but did not blow the horn when he stopped out front, so I had no idea he was here, and he says he knocked and nothing happened.

All the time I was talking to him this afternoon, the dog was going berserk! He mentioned "you have a dog?" I told him indeed we do as I opened the front door to allow the box to go though it.

The stress test came before we got the box to the door, or should I say before HE got the box to the door as he would not allow any assistance with it. Interestingly enough, Out the back door of the truck it came, with the back (of the bike in the box) coming down pretty hard onto the street, missing his hand truck completely. As he jumped out of the truck after it hit the ground, the box continued to tumble to the ground, now upside down. I asked him if he had any idea which side was supposed to be the top and he did not, asking if that was important. I told him that it WAS important, and it was now upside down on the ground (giving new meaning to "FedEx Ground" I guess?) Once I got my heart started again, we went to the door and he set the box inside the door and tried to fix the position so it was sitting upright. I signed the device, and gave him a little piece of my mind as to letting us know when he arrives by sounding the horn on the truck, as well as looking at what he is delivering (the box was marked "Automobile Parts - GLASS") and if that might have given him any thought of being a little more careful?

Anyway - that is the "Savage Baggage Master Saga" for today. Once he cleared out, I moved the box over to near where I could get into it and begun to unload the box very carefully. I learned that it is possible to put a stadium full of bubble wrap AND a bike in a box! Bob did a phenomenal job of packing this thing for the ride, and there is not a mark on it that I can see!

Monday, the FedEx guy will be back with the second part of the shipment - the seat, post, pedals, stem and bars. Over the weekend, I'll get out the stuff and clean my handprints off!

On the stand:
IMG_1847.JPG

REC (with Freshly FedEx Stress tested & Approved Heart)

Last edited:
Bikes should always be packaged as if they’ll be dropped, upside down, stepped on, kicked, other packages dropped on /stacked on top off, and every other horrible thing you can possibly conceive. Bike boxes don’t magically stay upright in the truck they fall over and stay on there side. Kudos to Bob for taking the time to do it right!!! Hope that next box gets to you soon! Great bike, enjoy!!!

Bikes should always be packaged as if they’ll be dropped, upside down, stepped on, kicked, other packages dropped on /stacked on top off, and every other horrible thing you can possibly conceive. Bike boxes don’t magically stay upright in the truck they fall over and stay on there side. Kudos to Bob for taking the time to do it right!!! Hope that next box gets to you soon! Great bike, enjoy!!!

Sometimes they run them threw with the fork lift forks, and run them over too.

Fedex had a box of battery acid going to Pep Boys fall on this box I sent to CA...Maybe the nicest bike I ever had. The paint on the tank, frame and fork was ruined. Fortunately it was way over insured and after a few discussions about HazMat they paid in full. The buyer still wanted the bike and a few bucks back. Needless to say we all ended up happy.
S4300002.JPG

Fedex had a box of battery acid going to Pep Boys fall on this box I sent to CA...Maybe the nicest bike I ever had. The paint on the tank, frame and fork was ruined. Fortunately it was way over insured and after a few discussions about HazMat they paid in full. The buyer still wanted the bike and a few bucks back. Needless to say we all ended up happy.
View attachment 779237
That makes me cringe just reading it. Good that it was insured.

Sometimes they run them threw with the fork lift forks, and run them over too.

Sometimes you’re lucky just to have your package arrive; when I worked at a car stereo shop we decided that UPS stood for United Parcel Stealers.

Back