When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fellow CABEr good deed story, and help on a plate

-

FICHT 150

Finally riding a big boys bike
Our own Buck Hughes kindly thought of me when he decided he didn’t need this 1945-46 Minneapolis bike license plate, and turned it over to me.

What a great dude.

Now, I’d like to get it on my 1941 Colson Scout, but, I’m not sure how it would have been mounted, back in the day. It has two tiny little holes.

Any suggestions? Not really into drilling any holes.

Ted

D5EC5BF8-8E65-48CA-821C-93B10F43FA1E.jpeg

You could always use some small black zip ties. License plates are supposed to hang or be upright though

I’m a bit worried about using wire. This is a thin fiberboard license plate, only used 43-46, and I suspect wire might act like a knife on the edges of the small holes in the plate. I’d like to keep it around, and on the bike for a while.
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have to think about this a bit.
Ted

1617470722814.png

Trace out plate on a thin piece of metal flashing leaving a mounting tab on top or bottom and cut out pattern with tin snips. You can then wire plate to it to keep it rigid and then mount it on fender or hang from seat . You can patina up the metal with white vinegar , peroxide and salt if you want.

Back