When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender light cover repair ideas?

-

ballooney

I live for the CABE
I have a fender light cover that has split at the front mount. Any suggestions on how to repair this? JB Weld?

6e14922c5ed87901607067bd61e5bcc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might try epoxy and use a washer underneath and down in the top of beveled screw hole to add strength. You could even use a punch to form a bevel in the washer to use in the top.

What do you reckon the bezel is made of? I would wonder if it is chrome plated cast aluminum; pot metal? Would it be possible to have it aluminum welded, and then file/grind the weld down flush with the rest of the bezel? Blend and polish the weld after. If that's possible, I would think that to be a really good fix, of course my knowledge of welding is next to none. Probably wouldn't cost too much to accomplish, maybe consult a radiator shop or similar place.

Last edited:
It is pot metal. Depends on what your expectations are. Not really weldable. videoranger's idea is good if you just want strength for screw. If you wanted to redo you could strip chrome, copper it, and silver solder, and replate. Then you have the rest of the surface (pits) to deal with. There are other covers out there.

Thanks for the input. I have tried JB Weld and a washer with no luck...just won't bond. I'm going to try gorilla weld next and if that doesn't work I'll look to repaint another cover.

Thanks for the input. I have tried JB Weld and a washer with no luck...just won't bond. I'm going to try gorilla weld next and if that doesn't work I'll look to repaint another cover.
It will stick if you really rough up all the surfaces involved. VERY COARSE! Especially the chrome. If anything is smooth it will not work. Even then no guarantee. Try JB KWIK.

You can weld pot metal with a product called Muggy Weld. Melts at a much lower temperature than pot metal. Can be used with a propane torch.

Muggy Weld is an alternative. Probably a good idea to practice for a while to get the feel. Is it chromable?

The seventh bullet in the Key Features says that it can be painted, powder coated, PLATED, shaped, built up, and polished. There used to be a video of Muggy Weld being used to fix a crack in a pot metal headlight door. It then went on to show all of the steps up to and including chrome plating.

Back