When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sean

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm looking for a set of fenders for my pre-war westfield and wonder if any other makes are correct/ interchangable.

I'm tryiing to figure out the columbia/westfield/pope connection as well as the cleveland welding makers, ect.

Thanks.

Columbia bicycles are or were made in Westfield Mass. by the American Bicycle Trust headed by Col. Pope. Pope also made motorcycles and cars under the Pope name. if I'm not mistaken Pope was the holder of the selden Patent on automobiles that was finally broken by Henry Ford.:)

I'm not very familiar with Columbia but a lot of the manufacturers bought thier fenders from other companies like Wald, MacCauley, etc., others made their own stuff. I just don't know.:o

Yeah I find it a bit confusing. I think I should have the peaked "gothic" style fenders but i'm not totally sure. I've seen a few pics of older Westfields/columbias and thats what looks like is on them. I also noticed that the tank that is on my bike is the same as an old Elgin and I think they had those fenders as well- though some of them mounted ofer the front fork. I'll have to look at my Bluebird later and compare...HA! Just kidding- I wish!

I have the square fenders which I like but they don't seem to fit the frame I'll have to see. I'll post another pic soon as i've done a little work to it since the last pics. I'm still looking for a dropstand, clip and pedals then maybe I can at least ride it!

Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it.

2006_0623Image0017.JPG

As you can see I have a persons siren but can't for the life of me figure out how it mounts!!

Elgin

Here is a picture off nostalgic of an Elgin bubble tank that I now own that has the fenders that I think that you are talking about and they have been on all the other bubble tanks that I have seen from that time era also.
1940Elgin.gif

The front fender that went over the front fork came on the Elgin twin bar series,
The Robin, Bluebird and Skylark had fenders that were specific for each bike.

for the most part Elgins were made by 2 manufacturers. Columbia, and Murray Ohio. as I understand it it depended kinda on whether you lived on the east or west coast.:)

e5_12.jpg

That looks like it. That image is from a recent ebay auction-what a beauty that bike is.

Back