When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ficelle Mixte...yes, a Ficelle...??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
------

CLB RACER centrepull brakes paired with MAFAC levers. Weinmann rear cable anchor not original.

-----

Not original, but so much easier to draw tight- thanks to that simple cut out area in the middle that allows the cable to drop straight through, and not push it to the side as with the original hanger. While working in bike shops back in the day, I didn't care for Mafac brakes and largely for that very reason. Try as you might, the cable wouldn't pull tightly to the side leaving a loose cable and sloppy adjustment to be compensated by the adjustable pad rods..

@juvela The steerer tube was actually a bit loose and off center (it wasn't lined up properly with the wheel) and tightened very easily. Nothing shoehorned about it...

Ironically, this is the cheapest French bike I've ever owned...a stark comparison to the 1975 Motobecane Le Champion I have (original except for the rear rim and tires. I do have the original saddle). :)

DSC00881.JPG

Last edited:
@juvela The steerer tube was actually a bit loose and off center (it wasn't lined up properly with the wheel) and tightened very easily. Nothing shoehorned about it... :)

-----

Not following you here. The only place for the steerer to be loose is at the crown - as in fork coming apart.

We must have a terminology difference...

My comment regarding "shoehorning" referred to how the replacement stem may have been fitted into the metric steerer.

Do you mean to say that headset was loose?

Wheel sitting in fork off-centre due to axle not being fitted all the way into fork ends?

Afraid you have lost me. :confused:

Since your eyes and hands are the ones on the scene it be all good. ;)

-----

@juvela Stem appears to be original
IMG_6884.jpg

IMG_6885.jpg

. And I was referring to the top bolt on the stem not being tight. I was able to move the handlebars a bit side to side. Otherwise, all is tight and moves freely.

------

Thank you for the response, information and photos.

The logo on the head of the stem binder is of a chair.

Chair is brand of cycle components from Nippon and would definitely not have been original on a frankish machine of this epoch.

They are probably best known for their hubs.

It is unlikely that stem diameter is the 21.9mm - 22.0mm needed to fit a metric steerer.

It would have either begun life as a 22.2mm and been taken down or is more likely an .833 which is why it was wobbling in there.

As mentioned in an earlier post, you could check the portion of the stem inside the steerer for markings as well as the ends of the bar.

-----

Last edited:
------

Thank you for the response, information and photos.

The logo on the head of the stem binder is of a chair.

Chair is brand of cycle components from Nippon and would definitely not have been original on a frankish machine of this epoch.

They are probably best known for their hubs.

It is unlikely that stem diameter is the 21.9mm - 22.0mm needed to fit a metric steerer.

It would have either begun life as a 22.2mm and been taken down or is a .833 which is why it was wobbling in there.

As mentioned in an earlier post, you could check the portion of the stem inside the steerer for markings as well as the ends of the bar.

-----

It wasn’t wobbling LOL just loose But I do appreciate the additional information

-----

Understanding what may be going on there -

there are three (main) sizes of steerer i.d.:

.833 (7/8") which is employed on Schwinn, numerous other American marques and some machines emanating from Honshu

22.0mm: the metric ("French") size which is what the bicycle has

22.2mm: which is the "English", or BSC, or ISO size

---

a 22.2mm Chair stem would not fit in the bicycle's steerer so it it likely to be the .833 size

the fit between stem and steerer is supposed to be a slip, almost interference, fit

fitment of an .833 stem in a 22.0mm steerer leaves space/play

in order to take this up the assembler, "mechanic" in this case, must overtighten the expander in an effort to take this up

this results in a damaged steerer with a bulge, "goiter", where the expander plug was sited

if you were to withdraw the fork and examine the steerer this deformation would likely be readily evident

in riding the bicycle, if the rider were to pull hard on the bar they would probably feel the slight play/give

-----

Last edited:
Back