When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fill pitting?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Something to consider is the more filler, primer, and paint you put on it the more susceptible it is to chipping. V/r Shawn

bondo is not for pits.

as stated high build primer is what you use for pits. not putty, definitely not a putty without a hardener. put 3 good coats and sand most of it off and it fills pits. then paint over your new smooth surface.

lots of incorrect advice here. lead? welding? please.

Please? 3m says that major pitting is exactly one of the uses for their product, Bondo. It is perfect for it. And 2 part
high-build primer (every can i've used)clearly says it's main purpose is for filling fine scratches, generally as a finish coat to bondo--a modern replacement for the old red lacquer putty. The problem with spraying it as a filler for pits is that you are fighting telegraphing--the area around the pits builds up too so your just looking at a thicker version of what you had. There are sprayable fillers( just thinned down bondo)--not so good I think. I don't think anyone suggested putty without hardener. Bondo(plastic filler) is fiberglass resin(polyester) thickend with Talc, or fumed silica, and hardened by methyl ethyl keytone peroxide. I think leading is fun and easy and ,as stated above , a bit of a lost art--it's nice to know that your repairs are not plastic. There are several threads here where people made nice dent repairs with brazing and Taco Chris has one showing very nice, patient repairs with his welder and a file. Maybe your thing is the quickest and easiest(most certainly regular bondo if the pitting is profound) but the other advice incorrect? Please

Please? 3m says that major pitting is exactly one of the uses for their product, Bondo. It is perfect for it. And 2 part
high-build primer (every can i've used)clearly says it's main purpose is for filling fine scratches, generally as a finish coat to bondo--a modern replacement for the old red lacquer putty. The problem with spraying it as a filler for pits is that you are fighting telegraphing--the area around the pits builds up too so your just looking at a thicker version of what you had. There are sprayable fillers( just thinned down bondo)--not so good I think. I don't think anyone suggested putty without hardener. Bondo(plastic filler) is fiberglass resin(polyester) thickend with Talc, or fumed silica, and hardened by methyl ethyl keytone peroxide. I think leading is fun and easy and ,as stated above , a bit of a lost art--it's nice to know that your repairs are not plastic. There are several threads here where people made nice dent repairs with brazing and Taco Chris has one showing very nice, patient repairs with his welder and a file. Maybe your thing is the quickest and easiest(most certainly regular bondo if the pitting is profound) but the other advice incorrect? Please

been playing with paint and bent rusty metal for 45 years. feel free to think whatever you want.

I've been making metal and fiberglass props for the film industry for 28 years ( you've seen my work, I haven't yours). I learned most of what I know about fiberglass (and bondo) from Luis Jimenez (big blue horse-Denver airport), but I appreciate your permission to feel free.

I've been making metal and fiberglass props for the film industry for 28 years ( you've seen my work, I haven't yours). I learned most of what I know about fiberglass (and bondo) from Luis Jimenez (big blue horse-Denver airport), but I appreciate your permission to feel free.
do these projects have rust pits? didn't think so.

Back