When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filling skirt guard fender holes.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Goldslinger

Finally riding a big boys bike
Anybody try to weld up these small holes? I would like to use these on a boys project.
BE785AFE-4533-45EB-BAC2-1866A9888F0A.jpeg

Last edited:
Anybody try to weld up these small holes? I would like to use these on a boys project.
Hello from Va State
if you will put in search box upper right side
1935 Bluebird
in the 4th section there’s a man in California working on the fender holes
Velocipedist Co thread
good luck with you work!
Mikes bikes

Imo this is not really time/cost effective to do this nor easy. Think about it you're filling maybe 12 small holes per side... 24 different holes to weld, smooth and de warp. Your metal guy would need to be very competent to achieve a flaw free job. There are some other ways to do it...with epoxy base & bondo surface for intstance that are less invasive but still time intensive. I've only seen the welding method done in folly or desperation if the original rear fender is unobtainable. Much easier in most cases to source a correct non skirt guard holed fender.

Here is an example of this having been done, looks like they gave up!!

A flaw free job welding it is not a problem if you know what your doing.the problem is this type of work does not come cheap.2 or so hours of work at a minimum of 75 per hour.i wouldn't do it for any less.at that price,just get another fender.unless you can prep and paint ,that is another 50 plus an hour to have someone good handle it.unless you have friends or relatives that will do it cheap or free.

Last edited:
a little hole like that could be brazed -that is what I did in years past -now I just wait for the right fender

Use masking tape on the fender underside to cover the hole and provide support for JBWeld applied on the hole . Let dry, remove tape and carefully sand then use some primer and sand again. You will get a perfect repair.

I have this set of ,I believe rain gutter fenders that I want to use on an old schwinn project. The fenders are in excellent shape . Everything is going to need painted anyways.
I have pretty good mig skills. I was just afraid these are so thin that the mig was not right for the job. I have a Willys Jeep I restored and I lost count at 280 small drilled holes I filled in.I have never brazed before but that may be an option. It is going to be a a custom project. Maybe some copper rivets in the holes would be neat. Thanks for your all your input. I like taking these old girls bikes and repurposing the for something cool.
C5121B31-6A89-4373-831F-ECB46ED706B2.jpeg

9F5B7D0C-15E8-4507-A3AD-5BC352A8C30D.jpeg

Back