When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Final covering on Water decals

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinn lover

Wore out three sets of tires already!
What is the best clear coat to cover over water decals? I don't know if a rust-oleum Gloss clear won't destroy the decal? Any help would be greatly appreciated

dont use rustoleum on it!

for preparing a water label to be applied..
You need to get either a tamiya clear or something that is labeled as lacquer clear.

some hobby shops carry Tamiya paints, the clear is still lacquer based.

also when you spray them, give it a light mist coat, let dry then you do a couple more light coats, then you can give it a nice even spray.

Last edited:
dont use rustoleum on it!

You need to get either a tamiya clear or something that is labeled as lacquer clear.

some hobby shops carry Tamiya paints, the clear is still laquer based.

also when you spray them, give it a light mist coat, let dry then you do a couple more light coats, then you can give it a nice even spray.
Thanks, I heard that somewhere ,,, I wanted to make sure. I have a expensive decal I didn't want to destroy using the wrong clear coat.

Are you taking about it, already applied?

I checked and rustoleum does make a Laquer clear, but I really don't trust it on something I would not want to mess up.

you can also check art stores and get Krylon Crystal Clear, apparently it acylic clear. But I have use this will good result for protecting projects.

Are you taking about it, already applied?

I checked and rustoleum does make a Laquer clear, but I really don't trust it on something I would not want to mess up.

you can also check art stores and get Krylon Crystal Clear, apparently it acylic clear. But I have use this will good result for protecting projects.
I haven't yet sprayed over the decal yet. I do have it ready ,,, just haven't bought any Laquer clear coat. I believe Walmart has a few different brands to choose from. Thanks for all the help

Micro Sol/Microscale sells this and I have used it several times over new waterslide decals already installed. It brushes on and is invisible once dry. It is sold as a product to save old waterslides not already installed to help keep them from breaking apart or for a protective layer for lazer or inkjet waterslides. I pretty much agree with the statement that a "Quality" decal shouldn't need it but I'm not so sure of the quality of reproduction decals.

23315_big_1440109723.jpg

If you have vintage decals spray them with clear enamel in a spray can from ACE.If you dont clear coat them the old decals will fall apart as you are soaking them.I have used this method many times on bikes and vintage campers.After you spray the decal you have to cut it as close as you can around the edges before soaking,If you dont cut off the excess around the decal you will have big problems.

If you have vintage decals spray them with clear enamel in a spray can from ACE.If you dont clear coat them the old decals will fall apart as you are soaking them.I have used this method many times on bikes and vintage campers.After you spray the decal you have to cut it as close as you can around the edges before soaking,If you dont cut off the excess around the decal you will have big problems.
I second this- I always have reliable results with it, and as I work at an ACE, I can tell you I've sold quite a bit of it to others who've come in to buy some for the same purpose. or other hobby interests.

Back