When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding good homes for my collection

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rick Sommer

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Dear Fellow Classic and Antique Bicycle Collectors!

I am a bicycle enthusiast who began accumulating classic/antique/vintage bicycles about 40 years ago. Storage has been an issue, and I have not had the time to care for or restore these collectables. I now need to sell them, and I would like advice on how to best get this collection into good hands. I do not have time to sell these individually. With some energy, someone could bring these to life and realize their value, and that's not going to be me. Putting each one on EBay or Craigslist, with a detailed description, is more work than I have time for, and I want all of them to go, and into good hands.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area; are there any collectors/dealers who would be interested in the entire collection?

These include:
  1. 1961 Schwinn Black Phantom (fair condition)
  2. 1953 Men's Schwinn Century (very good condition original paint)
  3. 1953 Boy's Schwinn Century (very good condition original paint)
  4. Arnold Schwinn and Company New World (fair condition)
  5. Boneshaker -- Replica Penny Farthing, based on 1880s design, reproduced in the 1970s (good condition)
  6. BSA Paratrooper (poor condition)
  7. 1950s Montgomery Ward Hawthorne (fair condition, spring fork)
  8. 1950s Goodyear T. & R. Co. Wings Reliance (fair condition)
  9. 1950s Raleigh Sports 3-speed, generator in front hub (good condition)
  10. 1950s BSA Indian Scout 3-speed (good condition)
  11. Early 1960s? Iberia single speed lightweight (good condition)
  12. 1970s Sears Roebuck Ted Williams 10 speed with Campagnolo parts (good condition)
  13. 1970s Motobecane Team Champion with Campagnolo Record/Super-Record components (fair condition)
  14. Victoria folding bicycle. 1950s? (poor condition)
  15. 1950s? steel framed tricycle (fair condition)
  16. 1950s? aluminum frame tricycle (poor condition)

Rick,
You may want to list in the for sale section with some pics and a price. V/r Shawn

This is the place to discuss your collection if I understand your post correctly.
my opinion is that's a tough list to sell.
Figure an Each dollar amount on the wholesale (Cheap) end of the scale equals total $$
Put it in your local Craigslist with list and price.
Just my opinion.

How do you define, "good hands"?

All of the roadbikes have a very small following, and it would be difficult to sell them together. The Schwinn Phantom, and maybe the Century bikes, have some value by themselves, but no Schwinn collector will want to buy those bikes and have to haul away lots of non-Schwinn lightweights. The market is picky, and you don't want to hear this, but the ONLY WAY you will have a chance of ensuring all these bikes end up in caring hands is to sell individually. It is either that, or selling really cheap in a bulk lot.

I would put the first three bikes on eBay, then hock the rest in a big lot on Craigslist. If time is a big concern, this is the best compromise.

Dear Fellow Classic and Antique Bicycle Collectors!

I am a bicycle enthusiast who began accumulating classic/antique/vintage bicycles about 40 years ago. Storage has been an issue, and I have not had the time to care for or restore these collectables. I now need to sell them, and I would like advice on how to best get this collection into good hands. I do not have time to sell these individually. With some energy, someone could bring these to life and realize their value, and that's not going to be me. Putting each one on EBay or Craigslist, with a detailed description, is more work than I have time for, and I want all of them to go, and into good hands.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area; are there any collectors/dealers who would be interested in the entire collection?

These include:
  1. 1961 Schwinn Black Phantom (fair condition)
  2. 1953 Men's Schwinn Century (very good condition original paint)
  3. 1953 Boy's Schwinn Century (very good condition original paint)
  4. Arnold Schwinn and Company New World (fair condition)
  5. Boneshaker -- Replica Penny Farthing, based on 1880s design, reproduced in the 1970s (good condition)
  6. BSA Paratrooper (poor condition)
  7. 1950s Montgomery Ward Hawthorne (fair condition, spring fork)
  8. 1950s Goodyear T. & R. Co. Wings Reliance (fair condition)
  9. 1950s Raleigh Sports 3-speed, generator in front hub (good condition)
  10. 1950s BSA Indian Scout 3-speed (good condition)
  11. Early 1960s? Iberia single speed lightweight (good condition)
  12. 1970s Sears Roebuck Ted Williams 10 speed with Campagnolo parts (good condition)
  13. 1970s Motobecane Team Champion with Campagnolo Record/Super-Record components (fair condition)
  14. Victoria folding bicycle. 1950s? (poor condition)
  15. 1950s? steel framed tricycle (fair condition)
  16. 1950s? aluminum frame tricycle (poor condition)

I'm up in Santa Rosa...I would be interested in your Schwinns. With one post on the CABE, I don't think you can receive/send private messages yet. Shoot me an email with some pics if you are willing to separate some of the bikes: sstoural AT gmail dot com.

I’m not a player for the whole group but would be interested in seeing pictures of #5 and #13

Back