When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firestone Cruiser, It's finally here

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Robert,

Your bike is a '48......this was the first year for this style frame. Huffman used the serial number system like you wrote down starting in '47. 8H****** could be a '48, '58, '68, etc. You just have have to know the style of frame and when Huffman used them. Huffman rolled that first number over every ten years and the fist # is the year.

This style frame wasn't available in '38 and was out of production before '58. It helps to have access to many of the Huffman catalogs.

You'll find the serial # on this style frame in one of 3 places......on the rear drop out, bottom of the crank or on the front of the seat clamp (the clamp is welded on) It will always have a # (like your 8) in front of a letter (normally an H but not always).

Jeff,
Now I am totally confused. The rear wheel loads from the rear typical of a pre war?

Heres a '47 I recently got rid of.....notice the rear drop outs face backwards but are smaller. This was the last year for this style drop out and frame.

00aanewhuf5-1.jpg

Heres my '53 Huffman built Western Flyer. Same frame as yours...different tank and accessories.

0aa53westdone2-1.jpg

Oh well, I guess I just purchased a 1948 Firestone Cruiser. Still a cool old bike but not as old as I originally thought. Leave it to the experts. Thanks Jeff for all of the help. I just need to stick to the Schwinns.

Heres a page from a 1948 Huffman catalog. Huffmans are cool old bikes. I know Huffman/Huffy used rear facing drop outs till at least '55 and probably '56. If you decide to pass it on I'd be interested.

0000aaaahuffmanpng-1.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't know that rear facing drop outs were used by mfg. post war. I learn something new everyday. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to let it go.

I checked 37fleetwood's site and maybe I just didnt know where to look but I could not find his catalogs. I did however find several Firestone catalogs 1938 to 1941 on nostalgic.net. It's definitely not a 38,39 or a 41. Without a doubt the 41 is a Colson and the tank is all wrong for a 38/39. It appears that the 1940 ad is the closest to the looks and the description of my bike. Thanks for all of the help hotrod62 and Adamtinkerer. Now it's time to clean it up.

Look for the header "Restorer's Forum". There's a subsection for catalogs, and he has firestone from 1936-53, almost every year. Sometimes, Huffman serials have the first digit as the year, so yours might be a 1948. But they didn't always follow that pattern, so I can't say for sure. But I'm happy to help wherever I can, and sometimes I'm wrong, and I learn something new.
EDIT- didn't see the second page, which confirms what I was thinking.

rear faceing drop outs were mainly stoped on schwinn other makers still used them post war

Back