When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firestone ID Help?

-

SpiceAndLemonade

On Training Wheels
Hi there everyone! Just wondering if anyone could help me date/figure out the manufacturer of this bicycle? I've found myself the owner of my Mother's childhood bicycle, rescued from my Grandmother's garage as she moved.

Looks like it might be circa 1961 (most likely older - late 1950s) from the Bike License sticker attached to it? (the original one!) It has a Firestone badge on it, but from my preliminary searches around online and lurking here in the CABE forums, it looks like this was likely built by some other manufacturer using the Firestone badge.

Can anyone tell me where I should be looking for serial numbers or identification marks or what in catalogs? I'm hoping to make a restoration/modification so that I can take it for a ride. I can take more pictures, but right now it's in pieces on my garage floor as I've been making repairs/cleaning it up and swapping out a few parts. Any help would be most appreciated!

20220505_122336.jpg

I agree looks Murray. You should be able to find some numbers on the left rear dropout (where rear axle comes out). I'm also thinking late '50s. Looks like the bike needs nothing but a light cleaning, thorough service, and maybe new rubber. V/r Shawn

The Snyder sprocket pictured has six sectors (more symmetrical), but a Murray sprocket has five. Note that the bottom bracket has the dust caps like a Snyder (and Columbia?), but that the joints no longer had the volcano feature in later years.

Bike is definitely Snyder(Rollfast) built though. Check out the tell-tale adjustable fender brace mounts on the dropouts.
The Snyder sprocket pictured has six sectors (more symmetrical), but a Murray sprocket has five. Note that the bottom bracket has the dust caps like a Snyder (and Columbia?), but that the joints no longer had the volcano feature in later years.
These good pointers!

Thanks everyone! You answered my questions way faster than Google and with a nice welcome. 🙂 I'll try to post pictures when I get her put all back together. I had to straighten out some of the dents in the fenders (or well, the pieces that help support the fenders). Apparently it crashed at some point, so it was bent in a few places, but nothing that a bit of gentle hammering can't help.

Yes, Snyder built Firestones for a fairly short time, 1958-64 at the longest. Their serial #s start with A in '59, and continue alphabetically, before returning to A again in '69. I have a fancy chrome one.

Back