When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firestone pilot freebie for me

-

robertc

Wore out three sets of tires already!
A couple of weeks ago a friend told me he had a couple of bikes given to him. He said if I wanted them I could have them. So I looked in the back of his truck and there was a late 30s Firestone pilot woman's bike and a Columbia early sixties Columbia woman's bike. The Firestone pilot was one big Rusty and crusty pile of metal. The front wheel would not turn as well as the rear and the crank was pretty rusted up as well. Since it was free I decided to experiment with Metal Rescue gel. I had a large role of package wrap so once I applied the metal rescue I wrapped it thoroughly and let it sit for about 24 hours. I did the frame, fenders, chain guard, handlebars and wheels. I was surprised when the fenders, chain guard and drop stand turned up with blue paint as the frame and tanks were red. This must have been put together years ago as all parts appear to be equally Rusty. It still in pretty rough shape but all Wheels have been re-greased along with the crank and is functional. I changed the seat out for a more period correct one. The tires that were on it were cleaned and reconditioned and put back on the bike. I'm not going to say that you could ride far on them but you could ride it. Just another project during the winter.

0203211245~2.jpg

0116211500~3.jpg

0116211500a~2.jpg

Back