When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firestone Pilot

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
K

kelly

Hello Everbody, I'm new here and need some help with a Firestone Pilot. I'm trying find out it's vintage by way of serial#.
I have looked at all the pictures that could be had so far and I have not seen or found another with a solid steel half inch L shaped seat post and skiptooth sprocket setup.
Any and all help would be very much apperciated,
Kelly

I think your l shaped seatpost is a "lucky seven" seatpost, i believe fairly common on prewar bikes.

Now I see a seven, how "lucky" it will be is yet to be seen, but hope it will be. I saw a couple of them, they looked to be about 3/4 inch and then taper down to a 1/2 inch right under the seat but mine is a solid 1/2 rod the upright post where it slides into is tapered down and has a tapered clamp for only a 1/2 inch post. Are there any makers that were known to do this? Maybe this could lead meto a maker and closer to a year of porduction.

Thank You
Kelly

Kelly

Firestone contracted many bike makers for their bikes.

Solid 'L' seatposts were more common on pre war bikes.

I saw a Firestone Pilot on Ebay that was made by Murray(I think), Which I hadn't seen before.

I'll post a link to that auction, to see if it is like yours.
I think that Colson was another company that made Pilots for Firestone, but that may not be correct.

It may be a matter of finding a bike just like yours with the makers badge on it. If you can post a pic it would help.

Here is that auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280425854384&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Shane
Thank You for the link I did see that on EBay and it is quite colse to what I have, at least that bike ha all the O.E. paint mines been repainted and I going to try to remove it with any luck I won't damage the paint underneath.
I have the serial# and I think some extra numbers also,
serial# 9A13 / 179-722X8 / 200126 are all stamped on the bottom of the crank housing. I feel that the first and second are very old if not O.E. the last is maybe from a tracking registartion program like Police department.
I'll post some pictures to see if will help

Thanks

Kelly

I hope these pictures may help.

Thank You

Kelly

Attachments

• DSC02423.jpg
    DSC02423.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 524
  • DSC02424.jpg
    DSC02424.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 582
  • DSC02428.jpg
    DSC02428.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC02429.jpg
    DSC02429.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 436
The fender braces are interesting. Not flat, but wider than usual stamped braces.

I could still be off on the manufacturer, I believe that it is either Murray or Westfield(Columbia)

You are missing the truss rods which came out of the plate, extending from the bottom of the gooseneck. This plate is the same as the kind you would find on an Elgin.

the frame extends up at the seat post a few inches on both bikes, so they are from the same maker and likely within a year or two of each other.

The front sprocket looks a little out of place, at least to my eye. It is possible that it was replaced, sometime, the smaller cog making it easier to pedal.

hope this helps

Last edited:
Hey,thanks Shane. I'll look at Murray and Westfield/Columbia, I read somewhere about Murray but this Westfield is new to me.

The front sprocket looks like a Schwinn but I'm not sure.

The plate on the neck doesn't have any markings on it so I guess it could be from anything.

Are there any place to look up the serial# for Firestone Pilot that you know of?

After seeing some of the prices on these bikes do you or know where the values can be looked up?

Thank You

Kelly

Using the serial number for a date won't work until a maker is determined.

For instance, a firestone Pilot made by Colson and one made by Murray will only have numbers that correspond to that manufacturer, even though they are the 'same' bike.

The truss rod plate is identical to my Murray made Elgin. The seat is also not original, it's more of a 50's style.

I am going to guess mid 30's, but once someone has a positive ID on the frame there is a good chance that the there will be a serial number chart.

IDK on value, I am terrible at putting price tags on stuff, someone will likely chime in on that also.

Shane, thank you for your help, and congrat on your new addition to your family, I did not know that Sears had there own line of bicycles.
I only wish that my bicycle was so clean and complete.

Kelly

Back