When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firestone Pilot

-
Shane would this bicycle be considered a baloon tire or a middleweight?

Kelly

Balloon Tired Middlewieght bikes did not really show up until the late 50's

Yes Elgin bikes were sold by Sears until WW2 after the war, their bike line became JC Higgins, some early postwar Higgins were almost identical to Elgins, since they were using surviving pre war stock.

Wards bikes were Hawthorne, both before and after the war.

Thank you for all the info, You don't know how much I do appreciate the leads.

Thanks

Kelly

Shane
While cleaning the rear hub I saw on the coster break leaver " THE MUSSELMAN HUB BRAKE CO. Pat# 1911461 Model M.

I looked it up and the pat# was applied for Nov. 15 / 1930 and was issued May 1933.

Now to start running the serial# on the bike past the different possable makers...

Thanks Again

Kelly

The 'collared' frame joint at the seat post is a Murray giveaway. Also, the large truss rod plate. I believe that is a Schwinn chainring on there. Murray built bikes for Firestone late 40s-early 50s. Here's mine:
adamtinkererscollection008-1.jpg

I would say it's definitely a Murray built Firestone. According to Phil this frame design came out post war. The early ones had rearward facing dropouts like mine. Looks like Adam's is exactly the same frame.

Nice ad Scott!

0aafirepilot-1.jpg

Thank you both for your info, I'm gaining info and knowlage on this bicycle I really hate to call it a bike because anything that can last this long and look this good had to be built with craftmanship and pride. This is usable art, something to be used and enjoyed for many generations to come hopefully.
I just think it's cool to be able to ride a bicycle that has been over God only knows miles how many states its been to, people that have rode it and it still endures.
Not like the junk that can be had at Walmart made in another country then shipped here.
I will ride with pride knowing that it was made here by Americans, owned by Americans and built by Americans that took pride in there jobs, country, and families.

Thank you for your help and remember to ride with pride.
Kelly

all the Murray made Firestones are post war. in the 1948 catalog it looks about the same, in the 1949 catalog it has the later tall headbadge.

Last edited:
Back