When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First and Last Ballooners?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Real Steel

Finally riding a big boys bike
This is the Classic Balloon Tire Bicycles 1933-1965 category. But which bike is credited with the very first Balloon tire? Which was last?

This should be in the Tuesday quiz thread. Good question. I would love to see documentation supporting anyone's answer. I feel like this could be answered with many different personal guesses or opinions.
Schwinn 1933 catalog says that it was the first year that they were an available option. It wasn't a complete switch over, but a new option.
???

I've always believed the '33 Schwinn B line to be the first ballooners. B-3, B-9, B-10e.

I've always believed the '33 Schwinn B line to be the first ballooners. B-3, B-9, B-10e.

And jpromo is the winner......

IMG_2164_zps0b1bd1a7-1.jpg

I know that Monark phased out the ballooner after 1954, made the switch to all middleweights. I'm sure others produced ballooners after that though.

Last were probably Columbia Newsboys which ran from 1950 to 1977 and Columbia the BIG MAC from 1977 to 1982.

http://vintagecolumbiabikes.com/id117.html

I have a '62 Columbia Newsboy Special. I was told (I think it was Mr. Columbia) that '62 was the last year for Columbia Balloons. In '63 the Newsboy bikes used middle weight frames and tires. Then, after that idea failed, balloons came back a few years later using the '62 type heavy duty Newsboy frames.

If we are counting continuous balloon bike production, '62 would be the last year for Columbia. I think.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 312
  • Columbia Newsboy brochure 1961.jpg
    Columbia Newsboy brochure 1961.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 380
I have a '62 Columbia Newsboy Special. I was told (I think it was Mr. Columbia) that '62 was the last year for Columbia Balloons. In '63 the Newsboy bikes used middle weight frames and tires. Then, after that idea failed, balloons came back a few years later using the '62 type heavy duty Newsboy frames.

If we are counting continuous balloon bike production, '62 would be the last year for Columbia. I think.

The 63's and 64's did have a lighter weight frame with unitized frame/luggage rack but still kept the heavyweight wheels with .105 spokes and balloon tires. As far as I know Columbia never stopped making a balloon tire bike as long as they made bicycles. I misspoke if I stated that they were middleweights.

As was already stated, Schwinn was the first to use the balloon tires in the USA.

As was already stated, Schwinn was the first to use the balloon tires in the USA.

I think that's a key qualification. What are known as "balloon" and similar tires in the US were being used in Europe before 1933 for transport/commercial/delivery/heavy cycles and the like.

Back