When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Shawn Paul

On Training Wheels
Suspended
I am looking to get my first antique bike here soon and have a few questions? First, where is the best place to look to get a great deal on a bike? I have checked out the local flea markets and antique markets. I plan on going to some garage sales and auctions, and am in no hurry to buy my first. I'll know it's the one when I see it. I was wondering where you found the best deals. Second, I like the bikes that look like they have gas tanks under the top tube. What style of bike is this? i would like to start calling around to find one of these bikes, without doing all the driving. Did bikes come in sizes like they do now? I am taller and need a bigger frame. Can I solve this problem with a longer seat post, or are there other tricks to get around this? Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing back from you.

-Shawn

Hey Shawn - you came to the right place. Take your time. Keep asking questions here. Ride a few. Don't buy the first one you find. Tip from another tall dude: A lot of these pre-war / post-war tank bikes are really kind of small. There are taller, king-size bikes among them. Sometimes you can buy a taller seatpost and make it work, but if it sticks out real far, you're not really going to like how it looks. The front end situation is another thing to consider - if you're tall, you've gotta get those handlebars up high, too. Let me reiterate: ride a FEW first. The classifieds here on the forum are great. Things also pop up on craigslist or FB Marketplace but you have to know what you want or it's really easy to pass over the good stuff coz a lot of times the seller doesn't even know they've got a gem. The bikes you'll find at your local flea markets can already be priced kind of high, I've found. Good luck. Take your time.

Welcome to the CABE Shawn. I’d take some time with the site, look at different bikes, and ask questions. A few of us here in the South within easy driving distance if you want to see some bikes firsthand. V/r Shawn

Welcome! Read all the information you can (there us plenty on this site) before you buy. Study the pictures and prices. Start with a lower priced for your first and go up from there. Look out for repop parts (especially on Schwinns). Original conditioned bikes are usually more desirable than restored.

Welcome to the Cabe, as said above educate yourself on what you like, want, can afford, try to buy a complete bike because your first will definitely not be your last. Sometimes just asking people that your looking for an old bike (Networking) gets results. Good Luck.

Welcome from another Atlanta resident. I too just found old bikes and have collected 3 so far, only one ride able at this point. FB marketplace and estatesales.net are how I found mine. Two here in Atlanta and the oldest I picked up several hours away in South Carolina, gotta drive sometimes to get what you want.

It seems to me that early frames came usually in 20" and often had 22" as optional and rarely 24", some come in LWB (long wheel base) models. If you go looking for a bare frame to build bring a tape measure. If you have a modern bike that fits you measure it so you have something to compare to.

You need to figure out if you want pre-war (meaning ww2) tanked 26" balloon tire bikes or pre-1933 28" tire motobikes, or why not have both.

Post up some pics of what you think you want.

Back