When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Classic Bike Buy for me

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
cool bike!

I'm totally new to this, but here are my thoughts Walmart and everyone else has jumped on the band wagon selling cruiser style bikes of this style. I don't want a bike that looks like it just rolled out the door from Walmart. I want it to look as old as me and I'm soon to be 73.
If the paint turns out to be too far gone I had thought about going with a military theme. But I cleaned it up a little and put some boiled linseed oil on a few places and it has brought the color back.
I'm thinking of going over it lightly with a gray Scotchbrite pad and the linseed oil

What should I do about tires?
The 2nd picture of the head tube and fork crown makes it look like a middle weight bike that uses 26 x 1.75” tires; (harder to tell in the rear pictures). [Maybe the style itself could be middleweight?]. There are more options with the larger 26 x 2.125” balloon tires. Be sure to measure, or maybe the tubes might be labeled(?).

Looks similar to a bike on a recent “Hawthorne Colorado” thread.

Last edited:
If there isn't any code on the BB, the rear dropout on the brake arm side should have the serial #.

A = 1959 ~ G = 1965
B = 1960 ~ H = 1966
C = 1961 ~ I = 1967
D = 1962 ~ J = 1968
E = 1963 ~ K = 1969
F = 1964

If there isn't any code on the BB, the rear dropout on the brake arm side should have the serial #.

A = 1959 ~ G = 1965
B = 1960 ~ H = 1966
C = 1961 ~ I = 1967
D = 1962 ~ J = 1968
E = 1963 ~ K = 1969
F = 1964
That's interesting I found an 75 EH on the BB, but the serial # is C 181180 I read that this model was sold 1957 until 1970. So going by the EH 75 I was assuming that this is a Snyder built in 1957 but sold as a 1958.

Read some of the posts about soaking the bike in a solution of oxalic acid and water. A kids wading pool is the right size.

I think that your front rack is missing the rat trap. This one has a Schwinn mount, but you get the idea.

If there isn't any code on the BB...
I have also seen later 1950’s Snyder frames with the date-place code on the bottom bracket, and the prefixed serial number on the left drop out.
One example was a 1956 middleweight (1.75” tires) motorbike tank model stamped (lightly) 65SN on the BB, and a “C”-04x,xxx series on the rear.

Back