When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Classic Bike Buy for me

-
cool bike!

I'm totally new to this, but here are my thoughts Walmart and everyone else has jumped on the band wagon selling cruiser style bikes of this style. I don't want a bike that looks like it just rolled out the door from Walmart. I want it to look as old as me and I'm soon to be 73.
If the paint turns out to be too far gone I had thought about going with a military theme. But I cleaned it up a little and put some boiled linseed oil on a few places and it has brought the color back.
I'm thinking of going over it lightly with a gray Scotchbrite pad and the linseed oil

What should I do about tires?
The 2nd picture of the head tube and fork crown makes it look like a middle weight bike that uses 26 x 1.75” tires; (harder to tell in the rear pictures). [Maybe the style itself could be middleweight?]. There are more options with the larger 26 x 2.125” balloon tires. Be sure to measure, or maybe the tubes might be labeled(?).

Looks similar to a bike on a recent “Hawthorne Colorado” thread.

Last edited:
If there isn't any code on the BB, the rear dropout on the brake arm side should have the serial #.

A = 1959 ~ G = 1965
B = 1960 ~ H = 1966
C = 1961 ~ I = 1967
D = 1962 ~ J = 1968
E = 1963 ~ K = 1969
F = 1964

If there isn't any code on the BB, the rear dropout on the brake arm side should have the serial #.

A = 1959 ~ G = 1965
B = 1960 ~ H = 1966
C = 1961 ~ I = 1967
D = 1962 ~ J = 1968
E = 1963 ~ K = 1969
F = 1964
That's interesting I found an 75 EH on the BB, but the serial # is C 181180 I read that this model was sold 1957 until 1970. So going by the EH 75 I was assuming that this is a Snyder built in 1957 but sold as a 1958.

Read some of the posts about soaking the bike in a solution of oxalic acid and water. A kids wading pool is the right size.

I think that your front rack is missing the rat trap. This one has a Schwinn mount, but you get the idea.

If there isn't any code on the BB...
I have also seen later 1950’s Snyder frames with the date-place code on the bottom bracket, and the prefixed serial number on the left drop out.
One example was a 1956 middleweight (1.75” tires) motorbike tank model stamped (lightly) 65SN on the BB, and a “C”-04x,xxx series on the rear.

Back