When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First new Huffy

-
In my family in second grade you received your first and often only new bike. I had 5 older brothers so plenty of hand me down bikes after that. My Dad went to purchase a run of the mill Colombia banana seat coaster brake and the guys at the Toy and Hobby shop loaded the wrong bike into our gigantic station wagon. When my old man finally dragged the box into the house and started unpacking it he realized what had happened. Like all hard working Dads with no time to get anything done he made a on the spot decision, that to this day I hold as one of the greatest he would make in my then young life. He never hesitated and continued to put the bike together while I was bursting at the seems in anticipation. I say often that I'm not as cool as my bikes and that held true then as well. The amount of respect that I received based only on the fact that I had a killer new BMX still resonates with my friends to this day. I found this bike a year or so ago and it just made its way out of storage. The gear ratio is set up for BMX rider or at least for a 7 year old kid with plenty of energy, I'm admittedly neither. If I pedal hard enough I can go back in time, at least for a moment.

View attachment 1476304

View attachment 1476305
Have restored a few thunder roads. Never had one as a kid was dream bike in North.

Love your post especially your quote, "The gear ratio is set up for BMX rider or at least for a 7 year old kid with plenty of energy, I'm admittedly neither. If I pedal hard enough I can go back in time, at least for a moment." There is a park near me in San Jose, Willow Street Park that has always had since I was a kid a grassy hill in the park, if you have ever been there you know what I mean. I have always and still live in this area. I am only a few blocks away from the park now. I am 68 now, but I still like to get on one of my Stingrays every now and then and ride down that hill, and you are right, for just a moment I can go back in time 60 years younger. than I am now.

Back