When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First new Huffy

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
In my family in second grade you received your first and often only new bike. I had 5 older brothers so plenty of hand me down bikes after that. My Dad went to purchase a run of the mill Colombia banana seat coaster brake and the guys at the Toy and Hobby shop loaded the wrong bike into our gigantic station wagon. When my old man finally dragged the box into the house and started unpacking it he realized what had happened. Like all hard working Dads with no time to get anything done he made a on the spot decision, that to this day I hold as one of the greatest he would make in my then young life. He never hesitated and continued to put the bike together while I was bursting at the seems in anticipation. I say often that I'm not as cool as my bikes and that held true then as well. The amount of respect that I received based only on the fact that I had a killer new BMX still resonates with my friends to this day. I found this bike a year or so ago and it just made its way out of storage. The gear ratio is set up for BMX rider or at least for a 7 year old kid with plenty of energy, I'm admittedly neither. If I pedal hard enough I can go back in time, at least for a moment.

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Story is as cool as the bike, and awesome it's still with you. I let mine get stolen (a Murray X20r - I was probably the same age).

I did pick up a Thunder Road carcass off the side of the road a couple of years back. It was so rotten, I ended up scrapping it. Chainstays had come off the dropouts, too. It was really trashed. Yours looks pretty dang nice!

Story is as cool as the bike, and awesome it's still with you. I let mine get stolen (a Murray X20r - I was probably the same age).

I did pick up a Thunder Road carcass off the side of the road a couple of years back. It was so rotten, I ended up scrapping it. Chainstays had come off the dropouts, too. It was really trashed. Yours looks pretty dang nice!
Oops sorry for the misunderstanding. That is not my original bike just one like it. I wish it was.

Sounds similar to my experience. My first bike was a single speed AMF Aerobee Renegade. I was so small for my age that the neighbor who assembled it for me turned the stem around to get the bars a little closer. I was a latch key kid, so that bike was my life. So many amazing adventures.

Over time it slowly turned into a BMX bike and all of the original parts disappeared. Then the bike disappeared after a move.

Then I found the same bike in a local thrift shop for $10 or $15 if I remember correctly. That was in the late 90s.

That’s a bike I’d like to restore. Lots of good memories.

I wonder how many people have their first bike or, like us, a replacement for their first bike?

Oops sorry for the misunderstanding. That is not my original bike just one like it. I wish it was.
No, upon re-reading, I think most would interpret "found this bike a year ago" to mean found it for sale, not found it in a basement / attic, etc. I was probably projecting the desire to "find" my stolen X-20 which followed me for years. I'd wake up from a dream where the bike wasn't stolen, but just misplaced. For context, I lived in a condominium, and had to store the bike in a basement locker. My parents wouldn't let me ride it to school, because it took me too long to get the bike in the morning. So at age 6 or 7, I figured I could solve that problem by leaving the bike chained to a sewer grate - with one of those lightweight combination lock chains you've probably removed from bikes by feel. So yeah, it wasn't there when I got up the next morning.

Anyway, if seeing / riding it brings you back to that point in time in some form, it's doing it's job... It's all about the story anyway - thanks for sharing yours!

"If I pedal hard enough I can go back in time, at least for a moment."

Isn't that the whole point of this hobby in the first place?

-Guinness
I guess for some, I got into it as a way to deal with my mind that never rests and hands that try to keep up with it. The ability to escape for a short time and perhaps feel young again can be a blessing and a curse. Some do not have the easy living memories I do from my youth and some may not wish to remember the past. The ability to escape the present and relive the feelings I had as child has been a most welcomed bonus to this hobby. The world has changed so much from when I was a kid ,even just being a kid today is different. The bikes have been a great way to bridge those differences between the times. Perhaps someday when I'm gone my kids will be able to ride the bikes I have left them and recapture the memories they are making now.

Back