When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Pattern BSA Paratrooper Bicycle Register

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mercian

I live for the CABE
Hi All,

The recent discussion about the number of First Pattern BSA Paratrooper bikes made has shown how little knowledge of the Fisrt and Second type BSA exist.

Other than the Serial Number list compiled by Captain Stevens, which he admits is years out of date, there is almost no detailed information out there.

I intend for this to be a listing of First Pattern BSA's, (twin saddle stem tubes) and have set up a similar page for Second Pattern BSA's.

Images Credit : The Online Bicycle Museum
1666639085963.png

1666639146848.png

If you'd like to contribute, please post at least a photo of the bike, the Serial Number, , web link and location (if possible), and any other details you may have. There are bound to be duplications occasionally, but that's not a problem. I'll record what I can, and publish it here from time to time in the same way I do the Columbia anf Huffman G519 details.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
R3641

Photo Credit: Questmasters
1666639241692.png

Serials R1228 (Left), R5381 folded, belonging to John @Houndsworth in California

The Silver one is a very late BSA, R77527

Photo Credit: Houndsworth
1666639724579.png

John adds:

The hinges on 1228 are made from pieces of angle steel, not castings:
bsa-early-early-hinge-made-from-angle-steel-jpg.jpg

This was the standard production set up - castings. This on the very late bike but are the same on SN 5381:

bsa-cast-hinge-pieces-jpg.jpg

It would be nice to know the earliest SN that got the hinges made from castings.

T-bolt with straight rod welded across the top of the bolt head is a very early feature:
bsa-early-t-bolt-jpg.jpg

Standard method was rod went through a hole in the head and each end was bent up:
bsa-standard-t-bolt-jpg.jpg

An early feature was the pedal arms were not reinforced early. A thick section was added later:
Here is my 1228:
bsa-pedal-arm-sn-12xx-jpg.jpg

The 5381 is the same:
bsa-pedal-arm-sn-5xxx-jpg.jpg

This is how most look, this from a 37XXX SN bike. Pedal driven inboard of course. I don't have a correct crank/pedal assembly on my late bike but I'd probably buy that from someone for the right price.
bsa-pedal-arm-sn-37xxx-jpg.jpg

There may be other differences, I am not a big student of these.

Last edited:
R6599, soon to be with Mercian in France:

Photo Credit: Octothorpe
1666640449449.png

Last edited:
Back