When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Pattern BSA Paratrooper Bicycle Register

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Unknown, USA

Photos: Ebay/Worthpoint

1666868542105.png

RXX35 Selles Military Antiques, France.

Photo Credit: SMA
1666878860849.png

My three are shown in post #5 - the two by the sign and the folded black one. Here are some details, most of which I also posted on page 7 of the Second Pattern thread Adrian created.

By the way, one of my pictures he posted showed the differences in handlebar T-bolts. I said the later style was a rod inserted through a hole in the bolt head, and the ends were bent up. I now think the head probably had two holes drilled at that angle and two straight rods were brazed or soldered in.

The R77527 in the middle has an incorrect crank and pedal assembly (am looking for correct assembly), incorrect grips, leather is shot, everything else looks correct, two Firestone War Grades.

The two early ones in that pic are R1228 on the left, unrestored original, with two Dunlop WGs. This one has the T-bolt configuration as on my signature picture, and hinges made from angle steel. The folded black one is R5381 which has a coaster brake hub and incorrect rim, incorrect saddle (I'm sort-of looking for correct ones). The interesting thing about this one is the Avon Avebury WG front tire. "War Grade" smallish and only on one side. On the other side of that is a small, molded War Department broad arrow W/|\D. I wonder what other WG tires were made with the War Department symbol?

It would be nice to document just the different tire makes and their markings, and with pictures. Someday a company might reproduce these and if only one is copied it would be nice if it was the correct type for most bikes out there. For example, if the Firestone was only used later in production (not saying it was), better to offer a different brand.

This is a good place to mention there will be a "Military Motorcycle, Scooter, and Bicycle Showcase" in California, USA on April 21, 2023 at the Camp Plymouth Swap Meet & Military Vehicle Show which is April 19 through 22. This is the largest annual event for ex-military vehicles in the western USA. There will be BSAs besides my three there, a number of Welbikes and Cushmans, and of course some motorcycles like my '41 Indian 640. I am the coordinator and am hoping to hear from some expected participants well before the event. When I do I will ask them about their BSAs and report to you, Mercian.

I attached the flyer for the showcase. If anyone wants to attend, I can send the general event flyer. We attract military vehicle owners and fans from many states and several countries. Some combine this with visiting the many regional tourist destinations in Northern California. For example the tiny town of Plymouth dates from the Gold Rush that started in 1849. Many historic sites are along Highway 49, and San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, and Lake Tahoe are within a couple hours.

Attachments

• Bike Showcase flyer 101722.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Okay, am way behind everything bicycle related, the motorized two wheelers somehow taking preference, but this came up, and had a look at Colin Stevens list, and mine came on top of the list, number R923, believed to be the oldest known survivor, found in a basement in Arnhem, Holland by me about 33 years ago. I need to get it out of the attic, and take some decent pictures, but here a couple of detail shots. I have been compiling a list for years, and have 19 first patterns listed, and 48 second patterns, but digging through the Cabe here, will have me add more of them I expect.

IMG_9154.jpg

IMG_9148.jpg

IMG_9151.jpg

IMG_9200.jpg

Back