When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First post in the antique forum; 1908 Peerless.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice bike, it looks like its a few years older than mine,

The peerless coaster brake was essentially a rebranded musselman armless, like what was used on the racycles and such.

That it does; same paint scheme and all, in about matching condition too. When looking around, that chainring seemed to turn up around 1912-14?

Riddle me this--is your rear wheel a steel clad too? I'd be shocked if this was an original feature of the "deluxe" bike mentioned in the ad. I get adding a coaster brake, but to have two different rims? Also, did clad hoops exist this early? I'd be thrilled to find this was original.

Here's the ad I keep referencing:

SCAN2523JPG-1.jpg

It looks like the couple years' difference in our bikes consisted of a change in the Peerless hub. Here's that same 1908 ad:

SCAN2521JPG-1.jpg

Both wheels are steel clad, the front one was painted at some point and that protected the nickel.
I wish whoever painted the front would have done them both...
I think mine is around '10-'14 ish

That bike has mystique. Everything about it is amazing. Looking at the other ought and teens peerless in this thread I’m curious about the forks. I have what might be a 1913 with reinforce rib mead type forks.originally it had the six arm peerless 26t chainring. I replaced that w six arm 16t ring from 1898 tandom partout.

F025FA95-780C-4F6B-966D-D85328F8ACE6.jpeg

D9482B3C-089D-490B-9E76-87ED044897C7.jpeg

24285F40-4A3F-4B21-8895-72469E0A8A75.png

Makes one wonder about the Peerless Cycle Works Chicago and any connection to Sears Chicago.

Was PCW a Chicago jobber and/or an early coaster brake hub manufacturer?
Were circa ~1908 Sears’ Peerless bicycles built or assembled by a PCW Chicago?
Does the 1908 Sears catalog picture show a Peerless coaster brake hub built or designed by PCW?

Most Sears Peerless ads show the Davis #2 chain ring sprocket; the six-arms version was a Davis #8. (Not sure which sprockets were used on Sears Napoleon bicycles?).

Last edited:
Thinking that the Sears Peerless with black paint, and a 6-arm (Davis number 8) sprocket might be of the earlier years, as the later catalogs list a “light” Brewster green, and then, later, a Moss green(?).

Shirley, any light green would be lighter than black?

Some earlier catalogs mention “Jet” black, but with white accents(?).

Thinking that the 6-arms (Davis #8) sprocket, might be a carryover from the last of the black and red Sears Elgin King models; or diamond-frame (non-motorbike) Napoleon models(?).

Last edited:
Back