When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First post: What type bike is this? Any tips

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lancesmth478

On Training Wheels
Hi there, this is my first post and my first time restoring a bike. I got a bike from a local antique shop that was closing down, and wanted to restore it. It is a JC Higgins bike and on the bottom says "MOSR", "MOD 502-281" and "66356".

Anyone know the bike model/name? Also what type of brakes should I put on this type of bike?

Thank you

IMG_20200903_191400.jpg

IMG_20200830_171015.jpg

IMG_20200830_171011.jpg

Post war, Murray made bike sold at Sears. (Would be Elgin badged pre war). Probably early 50's base model/budget bike. I don't see signs of accessories like tank, carrier, fender light. Very cool, no frills bike that will clean up nicely. Rebuild the hubs with coaster brake in the rear. Good score, have fun and welcome to the Cabe! ;)

Post war, Murray made bike sold at Sears. (Would be Elgin badged pre war). Probably early 50's base model/budget bike. I don't see signs of accessories like tank, carrier, fender light. Very cool, no frills bike that will clean up nicely. Rebuild the hubs with coaster brake in the rear. Good score, have fun and welcome to the Cabe! ;)
Thanks. Appreciate the brake tip

You are welcome. Sorry I can't help more. I'm sure someone much smarter than myself will know exactly what year.

Could be a 1952-R, according to the other list that started with 1936-A. By the late 1950’s Murray and Sears were more into offering middleweight space bikes, and the balloon tire models were relegated to the back pages of their catalogs or brochures. Also, the seat post clamp looks like an older style.
The bike is somewhat more common with the basic model being produced for about 10 years, so no great harm in refurbishment. One might also consider a mere clean up (rust), and polishing and wax.

Last edited:
Could be a 1952-R, according to the other list that started with 1936-A. By the late 1950’s Murray and Sears were more into offering middleweight space bikes, and the balloon tire models were relegated to the back pages of their catalogs or brochures. Also, the seat post clamp looks like an older style.
The bike is somewhat more common with the basic model being produced for about 10 years, so no great harm in refurbishment. One might also consider a mere clean up (rust), and polishing and wax.

Going to agree on this.

Here is the same model in the Sears 1953 Catalog, lower left side.

Then looking back at the advertisement, I remembered I used to own the 1953 girls version of this bike.

Back