When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First (prewar) bike..... Finally

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice job on the Tank , It looks right at home . Where did the Battery Tube come from ? I have thought about making one similar to yours . Your Bike has a lot of personality ...............Good Job !

View attachment 1017226
Thanks!
Not meaning to highjack the thread @Balloonoob.
The battery tube was an emergency flare storage tube for an old over the road truck. I shortened it several inches, added a battery pack, cable and switch. Outside finish as found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like what you are doing!
I used a new 700c wheelset from eBay with coaster brake hub (China) and a skiptooth adapter cog from Ichi Bikes (Des Moines, Iowa) and 700x45c tires. I made my own tank. View attachment 1017021View attachment 1017022
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/392051044547
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223529947911

So you have to change the hub out for a coaster brake hub if you have a multiple gear roadbike wheel you want to convert to skiptooth? I have a pair of modern 28 inch wheels with 26 spokes each so I would need a 26 spoke coaster brake hub and a skiptooth cog right?

So you have to change the hub out for a coaster brake hub if you have a multiple gear roadbike wheel you want to convert to skiptooth? I have a pair of modern 28 inch wheels with 26 spokes each so I would need a 26 spoke coaster brake hub and a skiptooth cog right?
The adapter cog would fit Sturmey Archer, Shimano and KT. I’ve used all three.

Figured it was time to get cracking on the Colson again as my other bike has now taken it's place at the front of the stable and it was getting jealous. Tried the old grind every other tooth trick in an effort to convert to skiptooth. Looks like it just might work. For anyone thinking of trying this i recommend grabbing really low on the tooth to snap off as flat of a line as possible between the other 2 teeth to minimize the grinding needed. With modern wheels i think my cog was made of aluminum or some other cheapo weak metal so they popped right off with minimal prying. Only do this if you have an even number of teeth on the rear cog. I will post again once it's all assembled..... Hopefully it works.

20190724_114500.jpg

20190724_115132.jpg

20190723_100618.jpg

My early 60’s Traveler had Schwinn S-5 rims, 597 bead seat diameter
Did you ever get rolling on the shelby motobike project? If so what wheels /cog did you go with?
No man - nothing more than dreaming at this point. I have a few other bikes, and they all need something. For my own sanity's sake I'm doing my best to try to sell the ones that are redundant, and then fix the issues with the ones I'll keep before working on the next thing. I'm not talking about cosmetics, but real issues. I tend to not mind riding bikes with problems (like only one working brake, out of adjustment derailleur, 51 year old tires with cracks, etc), but I really should get my crap in order. I actually put the Shelby frame for sale a couple of days ago for a ridiculous amount of money. So far no bites, and that's fine, because I like it a lot.

Keep it up - this thread is inspiring!

No man - nothing more than dreaming at this point. I have a few other bikes, and they all need something. For my own sanity's sake I'm doing my best to try to sell the ones that are redundant, and then fix the issues with the ones I'll keep before working on the next thing. I'm not talking about cosmetics, but real issues. I tend to not mind riding bikes with problems (like only one working brake, out of adjustment derailleur, 51 year old tires with cracks, etc), but I really should get my crap in order. I actually put the Shelby frame for sale a couple of days ago for a ridiculous amount of money. So far no bites, and that's fine, because I like it a lot.

Keep it up - this thread is inspiring!
Thanks for the response. That bike is cool man. Lots of character. Glws. If you don't get what you are asking it will turn out great down the road.

Commited to the 9 tooth ichibike cog today. My other bike is kind of a downtown slow ride cruiser so this will be my go fast and actually build some muscle bike. https://www.ichibike.com/product-pa...chargeId=85538bb1-f32f-4135-9018-36c54e2697f0. Even if the modern rear cog would have worked - which it seemed to - the teeth were too narrow and would have caused too much wear on the old skip tooth chain. Just cause you can do it doesn't mean that you should. ;) i guess this means the 34 won't be a wheely machine anymore. That's ok. I'm planning to put fenders on it at some point anyways.

I have tall gearing on my DX and Motorbike. It’s kind of a chore to get the DX underway, but on the lighter Motobike, I actually like riding it in traffic, and don’t mind that it’s a single speed. I haven’t taken it on any group rides yet, but don’t doubt that I could hold a 12+mph average for 15 miles or more, which is what my Wednesday evening group ride shoots for.

Back