When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First (prewar) bike..... Finally

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Do you have any project updates?? I am invested in the story now! :) Looking very cool indeed!

Thanks! Still looking about the same. I got a matching pair of 28 inch wheels and tires but they are both front wheels... Need to lace up a 36 spoke rear coaster brake hub (apparently it would have had a new departure model d) to one of these. Also need some rain gutter fenders. I've taken this one on a few long rides and it rolls quickly and comfortably. Gotta save up...maybe hit the local swap this spring/summer but the parts I'm looking for now are more brand /bike specific so may just need to ante up and buy em through the cabe. This was my first vintage bicycle I'm pretty thrilled that it was such a nice one but I'd recommend folks new to the hobby buy something far more complete to save time and money. This one is still worth getting far more correct than it sits. It has been and still is a fun build!

20200122_131014.jpg

20200122_113926.jpg

20200201_231617.jpg

I have a New Departure rear hub and sprocket in working condition, just needs to be gone thru to freshman up. I should have a pair of 28” wheels and fenders from the old Rollfast I have.
I’ll take a look and get some pictures if you still need them. This is the frame and sprocket and maybe the seat.
d24bc4be8c9fd18c0f075430e4a67563.jpg
e6ed336cb407a3f794a582867ae23a0b.jpg
e79fd07be0d3e2236398707e6497cfbe.jpg

TonyD

Well I got a ND model d hub from @CURTIS L LINDGREN it was fun cleaning it up and rebuilding it. I figured out i needed shorter spokes after lacing in the spokes from the modern front wheel. Went to the local bike shop and figured out what length i needed. 286 mm. I then relaced the hub and @Mr. Monkeyarms helped me out. Turns out one of the discs in the hub was off by about 30 degrees. He straightened it out and got the wheel all trued up. Thanks as always for your help with these old bikes! So I put the front wheel on. No problems there. But the back wheel was rubbing on the kickstand. No biggie - it was a crappy kickstand anyways. It'll get replaced. But the wheel was also rubbing on the chain stays. Tried adjusting a bit but it only had a mm or two of clearance on each side. So what's the answer? Looks like a longer chain is needed. (which is kinda funny because I'm pretty sure we shortened this one this one so it would fit with the ichibike cog / modern 26" wheel). Well this chain is now 54 links. The one on my red bike is 58 links and is too long since the chain tensioners don't reach the axle ; but I don't think I can swap em outright. 58 would be too long for the Colson and 54 would be too short for the Rollfast. Two 56ers would be great haha. So as always there is more fun to be had and more parts to be acquired. Need to get some decent pedals on here too. Looking forward to a summer swap. But damn it looks good and the ride down the street and back was plenty fulfilling. And yeah.... It needs a bath.

20200405_092317.jpg

20200405_092304.jpg

20200405_092227.jpg

20200405_091351.jpg

20200405_092334.jpg

20200315_181048.jpg

20200301_190817.jpg

20200227_194512.jpg

123_1(1).jpg

Cool thanks guys. This is why I always want ONE of my old bikes rolling well. There's always weird little issues. Also thanks @piercer_99 for the transfer springs and other wheel stuff. Couldn't have gotten it rolling without one.

I got the chain put on with an additional master link and regular link added. Didn't have trouble getting master links on and off like I did previously. There are now 2 master links right by each other seperated by a regular link. The regular link i have is slightly too narrow so you can see light between it and the master link but it works for now. I think i may still have some chain pieces that i pulled off this chain previously so I can get the right size regular link between the two masters. Until then I'm kinda nervous to ride far or fast in case a ML falls off and gets lost during a ride. The axle now sits pretty far back on the dropouts but that should be ok. There is now plenty of clearance so no tire rubbing. Gotta give this dirty old thing a bath today.

20200430_114735.jpg

20200430_114144.jpg

20200430_120757.jpg

20200430_120748.jpg

20200430_115246.jpg

20200430_115223.jpg

OK - so yesterday I drilled out the rack so that it would clear the tire better. Fits much better now. I think I will find a '34 License plate to put on top of the rack to avoid objects stored on the rack from dropping down and rubbing the tire. The modern one that I have fits perfect but the color doesn't match at all.
It has been squeaking at me since somewhere. It is not the pedals. I tried swapping out and it still squeaks. It is not the bottom bracket. I re-greased a month or so ago and today re-greased and swapped bearings. Still Squeaks.
But it only squeaks when I am on the bike and pedaling. The only place left is in the rear hub. What the heck? This thing was rebuilt and greased up in April!!! Which it seems to me could only mean that something is wrong in there or that I did not put enough grease. I dunno. Just tired of sounding like Debo coming down the road. I cleaned it. Maybe that will make it happy? LOL.
I figure I can test my rear hub theory with a 26 inch skiptooth rear tire I have laying around.....if it fits enough to ride.

Fun times with these old bikes.
If I own it i NEED to ride it and a squeaky bike is annoying.

20201207_114235.jpg

20201207_193308.jpg

Back