When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First (prewar) bike..... Finally

-
(edited) Squeak detective Pete here. Squeaking is not acceptable imo and all squeaks matter!:mad: Why? Drives you & others absolutely crazy and/or could be a sign of trouble.(see recent failing cranks) Most likely it is simply metal to metal contact somewhere. Many spots. My go-to last resort to find the offending and offensive sound is a can of PB blaster or any good spray lube "penetrant". Start with the seat, then the crank/sprocket area then the front and rear axles nuts/drops, the stem/headset interface and handlebar/stem clamps/nuts and entire headset. Hopefully greased the BB and headset cups before you installed them. The seat and crank are the primary suspects, so I would start there. Spray heavily one area at a time then ride it until you isolate the intruder and expose it for what it is. Then you can grease that area's metal to metal areas. Pedal cups/ends and axle threads have also been a culprit, but spray lube will find it. Works every time.

Last edited:
(edited) Squeak detective Pete here. Squeaking is not acceptable imo and all squeaks matter!:mad: Why? Drives you & others absolutely crazy and/or could be a sign of trouble.(see recent failing cranks) Most likely it is simply metal to metal contact somewhere. Many spots. My go-to last resort to find the offending and offensive sound is a can of PB blaster or any good spray lube "penetrant". Start with the seat, then the crank/sprocket area then the front and rear axles nuts/drops, the stem/headset interface and handlebar/stem clamps/nuts and entire headset. Hopefully greased the BB and headset cups before you installed them. The seat and crank are the primary suspects, so I would start there. Spray heavily one area at a time then ride it until you isolate the intruder and expose it for what it is. Then you can grease that area's metal to metal areas. Pedal cups/ends and axle threads have also been a culprit, but spray lube will find it. Works every time.
Thanks Pete. I will try that next time. I'm near certain I have narrowed this one down to the rear hub. I know it is on the drive train as it only squeaks when I pedal. 3 in 1 oil had no effect nor did bb re-grease.

The squeak!! The horrific squeak!!
I rebuilt the hub yesterday. Reassembled and jumped on today and immediate squeak!!
Every pedal rotation there is a squeak. Its gotta be in the drivetrain.
I greased the bottom bracket. Nope. I switched the pedals. Nope. I rebuilt the rear hub. Nope.
So what is left? The chain. But whoever heard of a squeaky chain? Either way I will try swapping the chain out. Perhaps the master link I had added when I needed to lengthen the chain for the larger 10 tooth cog did not like its new home. Are you too good for your home?!?!?!
I will find out. I don't want a squeaky Colson. I just want a regular cooperative compliant Colson.

You're fighting a gremlin for sure ! I doubt it's the chain . :poutingcat: Pesky Squeak :astonished: Could be a cover on the hub rubs as it spins , just a guess :anguished: Wait Scratch that- I'm gonna say revisit the B/B Bearings. The cage may be opened up a little around those bearings giving some slop in the race- - - - - -just enough to make it squeak . I know that's not what you want to hear , but I'm all out of ideas here . Hang in there bud !

Is it high pitched and rotational-meaning it occurs consistently to the rotation of your feet? Get going and pedal with just one foot, do the same with the other-the change in force on the crank might help isolate it as a bb problem. Remember too, as you pedal, your ass rocks back-and-forth be sure it's not seat springs or even seat post rotating to and fro in the shim.

What you are describing sure sounds like it. I'm not very good at pedaling with 1 foot. I had tried swapping the bearings. I should try swapping the cups out. Thanks.

Back