When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Restoration - 1937 (?) Western Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Upon reassembling the rear hub (New Departure Model D), I stacked exactly twenty.....TWO discs! I’m one un-notched disc short. Not sure if I failed to catch that in the original inventory process or I lost one somewhere between the disassembly and reassembly. In any event, how consequential is the lack of one disc? Keep in mind I live on a hill and my wife will be riding the bike. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The number of discs used has changed over time. 22 discs is odd though. Check this thread out.
ND Discs
The important thing is that they stack up close to 3/4”.

If the hub fits together well and you can lock up the rear wheel when you brake, it’s not a big deal.

The number of discs used has changed over time. 22 discs is odd though. Check this thread out.
ND Discs
The important thing is that they stack up close to 3/4”.

If the hub fits together well and you can lock up the rear wheel when you brake, it’s not a big deal.

It is odd...and by that I mean even. It measures up, so we’ll see how they stop once the tires arrive in a couple weeks. Thanks for the link. I was working off of something similar for the reassembly. Rebuilding rear hubs is a fun puzzle. All those years riding coaster brake bikes as a kid I had no idea anything that intricate was inside the hub.

A little more than one week in and I’m starting the reassembly. Hubs, bb, and headset are rebuilt with no issues. The paint is as far as i can take it. After gently experimenting with WD, a barkeepers friend soak, and naval jelly on small areas, I ended up getting the best results with Flitz in the 5.2oz tube and 0000. As you can see a lot of the paint was lost under the rust but Flitz did the best job of preserving what was there and some of the luster. Aesthetically, the wheels were pretty far gone but structurally sound. I used Flitz in the spokes today and was able to save all but one, which snapped during disassembly. The new spoke will be the only non-OG thing on the bike with the exception of the tires and tubes, which are on the way. Looking forward to a test ride mid-July and already looking for what’s next. These first two bikes have proven to be excellent test cases.
a0b4f2c7fbd6273b53132e3222048656.jpg

d6d66636968eee1506544d5cd5535451.jpg

930afcef68b3ef142785b80867d4c245.jpg

Back