When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Restoration - 1937 (?) Western Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Blue! Who knew?

86DAD655-3B67-4D10-BEC2-0C028E530F31.jpeg

FF7D9269-8933-409A-B32F-16A446C6129B.jpeg

I have a couple of tire questions. With bikes and bike parts in general in short supply across the country, I'm struggling to find the right tires. The ones that came with the bike held air but are not roadworthy. Were the original tires all black or white walls? Probably doesn't matter as I'm just cleaning it up and riding it, but I'd prefer to keep the look somewhat original. Is there a supplier of vintage reproductions that might have tires in supply? The typical sources, including the two local shops I prefer, are out of stock as everyone is dusting off their beach cruisers these days. Lastly, any tips on on unsticking the fork from the stem/headset would be great. I've removed the bolt from the stem and the headset is loose but still very much attached to the steerer tube. Thanks!

Ask for a pair of these in this thread if you like them. Sounds like they are worth it.
As for the stuck stem - spray some penetrating fluid wait a day and try to wiggle it loose - if it doesn't go I would **think** putting the bolt back in slightly and tapping/bonking the bolt with a hammer may work? Thoughts anyone?

1593245882585.png

Ask for a pair of these in this thread if you like them. Sounds like they are worth it.
As for the stuck stem - spray some penetrating fluid wait a day and try to wiggle it loose - if it doesn't go I would **think** putting the bolt back in slightly and tapping/bonking the bolt with a hammer may work? Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 1218875

Agreed on the stem, it usually takes me a few days to get stuck stems out. Shoot some BP blaster in there and try to remove the stem, if it doesn't work soak it again and try agian later.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I wouldn't call my hammer technique "tapping" but the stem is now unstuck and the headset is refurbished and reinstalled.

So, I showed up at my usual Saturday morning group ride and unexpectedly came home with project bike #2. A cycling friend knew of my new hobby and pulled a 1953 Schwinn New World (K42380 is the sn) out of his garden where it was used as decoration. Yet another ladies bike, but I'm really fascinated by the head badge. It's from what used to be my favorite local bike shop, which closed in 2012 after 95 years in business. It's probably in better shape than the Western Flyer - just needs a thorough cleaning and new tires. Everything seems to be there and it's almost entirely original.

schwinnheadbadge2.jpg

NewWorld.jpg

Back