When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Restoration - 1937 (?) Western Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks for the help, everyone. I wouldn't call my hammer technique "tapping" but the stem is now unstuck and the headset is refurbished and reinstalled.

So, I showed up at my usual Saturday morning group ride and unexpectedly came home with project bike #2. A cycling friend knew of my new hobby and pulled a 1953 Schwinn New World (K42380 is the sn) out of his garden where it was used as decoration. Yet another ladies bike, but I'm really fascinated by the head badge. It's from what used to be my favorite local bike shop, which closed in 2012 after 95 years in business. It's probably in better shape than the Western Flyer - just needs a thorough cleaning and new tires. Everything seems to be there and it's almost entirely original.

View attachment 1219012

View attachment 1219016
Looks good! You got it out of the garden in time. Do some research into wheels and tires before you get too into it. If it has S6 rims you are ok.

HA ha! There is no turning back now, resistance is futile! They will find you...;)

That Schwinn will clean up nice, quality paint cleans up well with the just the right amount of patina. 1952 I rescued form becoming scrap metal. Only 24" tires though.

HA ha! There is no turning back now, resistance is futile! They will find you...;)

That Schwinn will clean up nice, quality paint cleans up well with the just the right amount of patina. 1952 I rescued form becoming scrap metal. Only 24" tires though.
View attachment 1219478
I'm going to need to find a chain guard. Were they originally chrome? I was concerned about finding the proper color, which appears to be identical to yours.

I don't think your New World is a 53 model. Looks like a 1940-41 to me.

Interesting. I didn't really pay much attention to what you said the serial number was earlier. Your bike is actually a later war time piece if it actually has a K serial number. Check out @Miq 's thread on these. Is the rear hub a black out piece?

1593360864625.png

Interesting. I didn't really pay much attention to what you said the serial number was earlier. Your bike is actually a later war time piece if it actually has a K serial number. Check out @Miq 's thread on these. Is the rear hub a black out piece?

View attachment 1219802
Thanks for the reply. The sn is on the bottom bracket (rusted numbers appear to be 4 and 2) and the rear hub is black. I've included pics of each as well as some others that could be helpful. I based the original dating on a code translator I found, but I see now that the prewar bikes are more difficult to date. Hopefully the additional pics help. The one thing that stands out is the lettering, which seems different than what I've found in the early 50s. The head badge would be more helpful if that shop didn't open in 1917!

NW bb sn.jpg

NW downtube.jpg

NW front tire.jpg

NW rear hub.jpg

NW seatpost.jpg

Looks like the bike shop that originally sold that NW placed their decal underneath the hat in rings decal on the seat tube. Also look at the seat tube to BB joint, it should also be electro-forged verses the hand weld.

"26 x 1 3/8 to Fit Schwinn Zephyr Rim". I've never heard of a Schwinn Zephyr Rim. These old bikes are fascinating.

Reactions: Miq
Looks like the bike shop that originally sold that NW placed their decal underneath the hat in rings decal on the seat tube. Also look at the seat tube to BB joint, it should also be electro-forged verses the hand weld.
Yeah, that was my shop until 2012! Good run for them. I still see the last owner and might make an inquiry as to when they left the address on the decal. Attached is a pic of the seat tube/bb weld. Appears to be electro. I really appreciate you sending me to that thread. I cross-posted to this one as it looks like they may have another bike to add to the list.

Also sharing a pic of the bike in it's previous location.

NW bb weld.jpg

nw garden.JPG

Back