When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Restoration - 1937 (?) Western Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JPKelley5

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello all! Until this past Saturday I considered myself an avid cyclist and a sub-amateur mechanic with no bikes in the household older than 2005 and I outsource all repairs. I stumbled upon this bike last weekend, bought it sight unseen with no idea what to do with it, and I've really enjoyed the process of getting to know both the bike and the restoration scene. I'm hooked! What I've gathered so far: 1937 Western Flyer (stamp on bottom bracket is K37371); appears to be almost entirely original; rear hub is a Eclipse Morrow w/ appropriate date code, front is a New Departure. Under the rust there is a single layer of paint. Robin's egg blue with white accents and red and white pin stripes. I rode it about 50 feet on Saturday and it rolls and stops :)

I'm interested in any/all thoughts, comments, advice, or knowledge of the bike you might have and where to start on the restoration. My first instinct is to break it down, remove rust, take inventory etc. Thus far I know it's missing the headlight and rear taillight lens. I've been unable to any pictures online of this particular year/make/model. Thanks!

37FlyerDay1.jpg

With a “K” serial I would say 1941. A full resto will exceed the value of this bike a few times over. Check out the restoration section for tips on cleaning and preserving. I’d clean, service, ride. V/r Shawn
Thanks! The seller guessed 1940. I interpreted the K the same way you did based on codes I found, but the 37 threw me. My plan is to just invest enough to clean it up make it mechanically sound. My daughter (10) loves it, so perhaps I'll get it resprayed and let her enjoy riding it while I find something more worthy of a proper restoration.

I think you would be surprised at how well the original paint will clean up. A respray would drastically reduce the collector value of the bike. A proper restoration on just about any balloon tire bike will be a couple thousand dollars by the time you get done. Your bike, your call though. V/r Shawn

Nice bike. Service it clean it up maybe your daughter will like it once it is preserved. If not, do it as she would like it. Good to see new/younger people involved in vintage/antique bikes. Make it HER bike and hopefully it will be a lifetime love with her and old bikes. A lot of great info on this site. Keep us up to date. Have fun.

Back