When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Restoration Attempt 1955 Black Phantom

-
I respect what you are saying. If I were working on valuable bikes I would take the extra care but I mostly work on $25 shed bikes that get donated to a campus bike shop. All about trade offs.
OK In that case where time is more important and the metal just needs to get cleaner use a bench grinder with a good wire wheel and get to it. Faster than sanding and more thorough. Easier on the hands also. Good luck!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far, guys. I'm take all the info I can get. If anyone has recommendations for YouTube channels to check out on vintage bike restoration or the mechanics of them, I'm game, too. I tend to learn from watching others do it.

Also, I messed up in my OP and said tail light when my meant rear reflector. I have a repo Stimsonite reflector for it and I'm also aware I don't have a chain on it. The original one was deceased so I gotta figure out what size chain I need. I thought I had one but it was too short.

The bike looks great so far. Other than adding a correct part I wouldn't do much more. It's an awesome bike.
So I know it's missing the chain and the pedals aren't Schwinn appropriate. Current handle bars are repo and brand new (probably the ones from the 90s) but I'm ok with them for now. I'm unsure about the seat on whether it's repo or not but if you see any other parts incorrect for the bike, let me know. I really want to do this justice and I want things original as I can get them. Having people point out flaws or incorrect things and why they're incorrect is really helpful and a learning experience for me.

Looking good! The seat on it now is a one year only Phanton seat, 1959. The grips will be the flush Schwinn tear drop design, not the 60's recessed type in your before and after shots. Have fun!

I think your seat is a few years newer and came on the last of the Phantoms and sometimes on the early 60's Wasps & cycletrucks, as said I wouldn't do too much more ( don't know why anyone would even think about OA bath for this bike! ), put a chain on and look for pedals ( those are good for now ) and ride/enjoy!

I think your seat is a few years newer and came on the last of the Phantoms and sometimes on the early 60's Wasps & cycletrucks, as said I wouldn't do too much more ( don't know why anyone would even think about OA bath for this bike! ), put a chain on and look for pedals ( those are good for now ) and ride/enjoy!
Looking good! The seat on it now is a one year only Phanton seat, 1959. The grips will be the flush Schwinn tear drop design, not the 60's recessed type in your before and after shots. Have fun!

Yes! Thanks for the handgrip feedback. Here's a close up of the ones I have on there now rather that whatever white ones were on there before:

IMG_2460.jpg

The seat feedback from both of you is really appreciated and noted. I'll probably just mark down that I need to find an appropriate seat for that bike and see if I can just sell that one then because I don't have any late era Phantoms and honestly, I'm ok with the ones I have so I don't intend on getting more of them. Is there something specific about the one year seat that made it stand out?

So one quick note that I wasn't real specific about regarding the OA bath: that wasn't necessarily a suggestion for THIS bike. Just a general way to treat or clean parts. I'm very new to this and probably unfairly paraphrasing the other person's experience, though. I only chose to do aluminum foil because it was safe and I wanted to err on the side of caution. My next project that I'm working on is completely cleaning my childhood bike (1980s Champion) that is rusted as hell so I'm going to do an OA bath on that for some practice

Here's the style of grips that was common during 1955 and a little earlier. These are also reproduced by Dan (bicyclebones) on eBay and they come in black, white, red, green and maybe blue, but I haven't see the blue version. His price is $35 a pair and I've seen chewed up originals with prices almost twice that.
The seats used before 1959 had a real leather cover. Maybe @bobcycles or @rustjunkie can give you a hand in locating one.

Originals.

Here's the style of grips that was common during 1955 and a little earlier. These are also reproduced by Dan (bicyclebones) on eBay and they come in black, white, red, green and maybe blue, but I haven't see the blue version. His price is $35 a pair and I've seen chewed up originals with prices almost twice that.
The seats used before 1959 had a real leather cover. Maybe @bobcycles or @rustjunkie can give you a hand in locating one.

Originals.

View attachment 1648523
Yo, thanks for the screenshot. That helps a lot. I have a toolbox full of grips that I can go through and I'll take a look. Would prefer original verses fabricated but we'll see what my choices are. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate this for real

Back