When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First-Time Buyer of Welder Needs Education

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GiovanniLiCalsi

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I know there are good welders on this forum and would like to pick your minds about what would be the best welder to buy, that is under $600.00.
It’s my son that is going to be the buyer and hoping to point him in the best direction.
I have done some welding, long ago, but not up to date on the new welding machines.
I’m planning to use it for welding ears on 6”x6” steel tubing and other light use items, for fences and gates. Here is an Eastwood

Elite MP140i Multi Process Welder $499.99​

Thanks, ahead!
Giovanni

can't go wrong with Miller or Lincoln. I recommend a 220 machine. definitely with gas, flux core is for welding farm equipment outside in the breeze.
I have a 170 amp 220 volt Lincoln that has worked flawlessly for a good 20 years. I don't know what is available for $600.00. mine was $900.00 all those years ago and has paid for itself 20 times over since then.

I am a mig welder and I personally use a Hobart 190. I will say that, unless you are running long, hotter beads constantly, this welder can handle anything you throw at it with ease and I weld 1/4 all the time and as little as 18 gauge. The reason for my hesitance on suggesting this for long, hotter beads is the duty cycle can only handle so much before you have to let it rest for a little bit or you will get less effective welds once the duty cycle drops. ....but in regards to the duty cycle, I did a project where I plated 3' sections of 3/16 steel to the side of a frame rail and only had to stop once in each 3' section of beads and that is pretty good at the end of the day.

Last edited:
when I went in to the welding store I spoke with the guy about what I would be doing and then bought the next size up from what he suggested. once you have a welder you will find more things that need welded. suddenly scrap steel for free will be like free ice cream for a kid. I have bunches of steel from all over the place. I have only purchased steel for a project once when I needed one tube to fit in another.

when I went in to the welding store I spoke with the guy about what I would be doing and then bought the next size up from what he suggested. once you have a welder you will find more things that need welded. suddenly scrap steel for free will be like free ice cream for a kid. I have bunches of steel from all over the place. I have only purchased steel for a project once when I needed one tube to fit in another.
I will second this notion. When buying a welder, always buy a step up more than you need because as you get better (and if you weld alot, you will get better), that “starter welder” will become a crutch and hold you back.
Learning to weld is one of the best skills I think every man should learn even just to have that knowledge under their belt.

lets not forget the helmet. auto darkening is the only way to go. mine has to be 20 years old and still works. I had to set it in the sun last time I used it because I hadn't used it in months and the solar panel was facing a dark space. it seems like regular indoor lights charge these things .... only a handful of times over the years where I had to let it charge outside..

Back