When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First-Time Buyer of Welder Needs Education

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
lets not forget the helmet. auto darkening is the only way to go. mine has to be 20 years old and still works. I had to set it in the sun last time I used it because I hadn't used it in months and the solar panel was facing a dark space. it seems like regular indoor lights charge these things .... only a handful of times over the years where I had to let it charge outside..
Boy I will agree with ya on that one. I had a "hand-me-down" worn out auto-dark hood for a few years and around 2018 I bought new welding hood and it was like the heavens opened up. I could see my weld pool, I could see the end of the metal....I was mad at myself for not doing it sooner!
You can have the best welder money can buy but if your hood is trash, your welds will be too.

I add to the auto darkening helmet to use a bright LED shop light near what you are doing. Nothing worse than to lay what you think is a great bead only to be an inch away from where you needed to be but couldn't see. Torch end lights look great but I've never had one to try.
Kid you not, I have a buddy who took a Lego light that looks like a lego figure with an led bulb in the feet and strapped it to the torch shaft. haha Doesnt have to be pricey and he says it works awesome.

You can have the best welder money can buy but if your hood is trash, your welds will be too.
Seeing what your welding CLEARLY is paramount. Keep both front and back lenses clean . If your not sure about settings on the welder , practice on random material 'till you feel you have a good weld-with good penetration. Welding can be an art - it takes time to do well . Adjustable settings on an auto darkening hood make a big difference , and YES if you need extra light go for it- you will be glad you did . Nobody can weld blind- I don't care what they say. Good luck on your welding !

Last edited:
I am liking the Miller 220 all in one. But at $3500.00 it is out of your price range. You should talk to a weld supplier. They will have the skinny on what would best suit you. You need to figure out if you will be doing more mig, tig, or stick. Will you need a plasma cutter? What duty cycle? 60% is pretty standard for smaller machines. But, after a few projects the welder will pay for itself.

I would strongly advise you go with a Hobart because you'll find one in your price range, and they are a Miller product--very close in most respects to their Miller counterparts and getting more and more similar each model-year. You will find parts and service
at any welding shop that handles Miller. I agree that it is wise to buy "bigger" than you feel you need: The Hobart 190 (mentioned above) can be had for about $760 but is a 220v model which makes it a bit less universally portable. For less than $200 more you can get the Hobart 210 mvp that will run on 110v or 220v and offer higher material thickness capacity than the 190. I personally keep a Hobart 140 around the house (I have a vast array of welders available at work). The 140 is fine for fixing or fabricating lots of stuff and, from years of experience, I can confidently push its stated capacities. The 140 is in your budget, and, should you decide to get something bigger, will generally hold most of its value come resale---but it is probably smarter to go bigger right off the bat. Don't forget, a pressure vessel (gas bottle) is about $200 for the most popular size(125 cubic ft)

I am liking the Miller 220 all in one. But at $3500.00 it is out of your price range. You should talk to a weld supplier. They will have the skinny on what would best suit you. You need to figure out if you will be doing more mig, tig, or stick. Will you need a plasma cutter? What duty cycle? 60% is pretty standard for smaller machines. But, after a few projects the welder will pay for itself.
We’re still in the learning stage, but my son has ongoing welding classes. Just using a cutoff grinder and Makita chop saw. Got to take baby steps.

Back