When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First use of the Schwinn oval badge?

-

Tikibar

Finally riding a big boys bike
There's probably a simple, easy answer to this question, but my searches didn't find it.

When was the earliest or first use of the Schwinn oval badge with the vertical "Schwinn" letters?

Vintage-Schwinn-Brass-Bicycle-Head-badge.jpg

Not asking about this badge specifically, but how far back does this design go? Prewar?

Bonus question - what model first used this style badge?

i'm a prewar Schwinn nut so I know little about postwar schwinns. 1950/phantom was my w.a.g.! could those '48 e serial numbers be left over stock? I also remember seeing very early phantoms with an aluminum 'trains-n-planes' headplate-and those were 1949-right? was it an overlapping of headplates?

Recently bought a '49 juvenile (20" size) as it had the small badge drilling in the headtube. The only '48 models I've had were Cycle-Trucks and they had a unique badge. I have had a few '49 and '50 models (and later) with the long oval badge. I'd go with the '48 statement too.
My most original '49 built bike has the long oval badge and that is what was there when it left the factory in November of '49.
DSC02174.JPG

REC

Back