When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitting Motorcycle Bars to Prewar DX ??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mack the fork

Look Ma, No Hands!
As I build my prewar DX Klunker project, I’m going to make one concession to my strict “only prewar” parts rule.

[ Using prewar Morrow rear brake, high flange “phone dial” front brake, all period correct bits with prewar drop center rims. ]

As a nod to my former flat track racing days, I’m going to use some old motorcycle
flat track racing bars from a former race bike.

I really like the bend aesthetics and the ergonomics of those bars : wide, with very little rise or pull back.

The problem is that though they are 7/8” like bicycle bars, they don’t have a flared, knurled section in the middle to fit a bicycle stem.

So I’ll have to use shims; but what type/thickness?

I went on some sites to find too many choices for my liking ( meaning more than one ).

has anyone shimmed motorcycle bars to a standard bicycle stem ?

I have yet to decide between a Schwinn Art Deco stem or a Schwinn Razor stem from my collection.
Either way, they need to be shimmed.

I was thinking of a copper plumbing pipe section, cut longitudinally in halves or a similar gauge piece of aluminum pipe for material.

Any easier/ better, more conventional solutions out there ?

Copper pipe should work but keep in mind that the original bicycle bars had grooves scored into then to keep the bars from slipping. You wont be able to get a tight fit without the grooves.

Back