When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five speed conversion question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

olevince

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm considering converting a single speed to a five speed. Obviously the frame I intend to use doesn't have cable guides for the derailuer. Anyone have any tips or ideas? Any easy remedy? Thanks.

The biggest task would be spreading the drop outs to take a 5 speed hub. Not hard to do though. I spread a three speed Corvette frame to take a 5 speed Atom brake hub and that was quite a stretch from the 4 1/4" spread. The 70's and 80's 5 speed Cruisers don't have any cable guides so nice looking Shimano cable clamps were used, but matching color zip ties work. :p

I was able to put a 7 speed Nexus hub in a 1950 Schwinn Panther. It took some coaxing to the rear stays but was definitely worth the effort. I found plenty of cable clamps on Ebay.

I was able to put a 7 speed Nexus hub in a 1950 Schwinn Panther. It took some coaxing to the rear stays but was definitely worth the effort. I found plenty of cable clamps on Ebay.
Hmmmm, I've been thinking the same mod.....7 speed in shoe horned into a late 50's Columbia.

Back