When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fix It, Junk It, or Sell It ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A

Alex

I have a bike that I'm guessing is pre-1930 simply because it has all-wood rims and 28 inch tires. It's complete except for rear spokes, spoke nipples and tires. I cannot find any identifying marks on it the frame, not even a serial number. The one remaining tire says "28" on it - I assume that's the size. A couple of odd things about the frame: The seatstays are detachable - held on by the seat binder bolt at the top and by the rear axle nuts at the bottom. The fork has only holes for the front axle - no slots. There's an "extra part" that looks like a spring-loaded shoe that should press down on the front wheel tread as a brake. No linkage to this shoe - just the shoe on a vertical shaft that goes up in the fork, and a return spring on the shaft, inside the fork. The only component that I can find marks on is the rear hub - New Departure Model D.

Frame has some issues, which I can easily fix (I'm a framebuilder) and the mechanical problems I have enough machine shop capability to deal with. I'm assuming I can find spokes to fit. But, what about spoke nipples (extra long, about 0.75 overall) and 28" tubeless tires ? Are they available ? Lack of tires would be a deal-breaker, but I suppose I could _make_ spoke nipples if I had to.

With the lack of any ID and the obviously "aftermarket" finish on the bike now, would I be committing any sacreligious acts by sandblasting/repainting/replating ? My goal would be not to have something of historical value so much as a cool bike to ride.

All thoughts, insights, information, wisdom, advice welcome. Pics attached.

Thanks - Alex

Attachments

• Wooden Rim Bike 001.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 001.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Wooden Rim Bike 002.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 002.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Wooden Rim Bike 003.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 003.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 167
  • Wooden Rim Bike 005.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 005.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Wooden Rim Bike 008.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 008.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 171
Spoke nipples are available. I can get you the 1" nipples used on the wood rims today. $30 delivered for 50pcs. The spokes are available in butted and straight. Be careful with the tension on the nipples. I try to stay around 50 fp of torque. Any more and you are asking for catastrophic failure because the wood is so old and brittle.

The tires are available also, Memory Lane is the best place for them. Last time I purchased them I THINK they were $125 a set plus shipping.

Sandblast away. I prefer powder to paint, to each his own. Plate if your rich powder if not.

The brake would require a bit more effort. Original parts are available. If you have a bit of a creative eye and do not require 95% original then scavenge the British rod brake parts and your all set.

The rest is just like any other bicycle.

Have fun and let us see the final product when you have finished.

Later,

KW Scott

I would like to see photos a bit farther away from the bike, don't get the display tires if you want to ride it, get pneumatic tires. and finally to answer the question your post header asks, do any of the above except "junk it". if you like it fix it if you don't sell it.
Scott:cool:

Frame has some issues, which I can easily fix (I'm a framebuilder) and the mechanical problems I have enough machine shop capability to deal with. I'm assuming I can find spokes to fit. But, what about spoke nipples (extra long, about 0.75 overall) and 28" tubeless tires ? Are they available ? Lack of tires would be a deal-breaker, but I suppose I could _make_ spoke nipples if I had to.

what kind of frames do you build? just curious...

got a QBP account? get some vittoria 700x34 cx tubulars for those rims. the nipples can be had on ebay for $25 shipped for 72, I just built a set of clad over wood wheels with 'em.

and given that you've got a coaster on the rear you could even ditch that front brake.

More Pics

37 Fleetwood: No worries - I won't really junk it. I've been toting it around for 30 years in a box, and I'm finally getting around to doing something with it. The internet makes this sort of thing much easier. 20 years ago I'd have had no idea where to go for info. I've attached a couple more pics further away. Hope that helps. Also, with some aggressive finish removal, I found a serial number in the usual place on the bottom of the BB shell. C15411. I think it's also barely visible on the set lug.

Imfastareyou: I build just about anything anyone wants. A few shots of recent stuff here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11010241@N04/sets/72157604957417627

You can see more in my "Other Sets"

Vittoria tubies are an interesting idea, and I'll watch for the spoke nipples on eBay. You all have inspired me !

Alex

Attachments

• Wooden Rim Bike 009.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 009.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Wooden Rim Bike 010.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 010.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Wooden Rim Bike 011.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 011.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Wooden Rim Bike 012.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 012.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 117
what does the other side of the chainring look like?

I have a bike with a maybe identical chainring.

eljwheels:

The two faces of the chainring look identical. On mine, the chainring is threaded onto the crankarm. The threads are stripped, so that's one thing I need to take care of.

Not quite sure how this was supposed to work with a coaster brake. Along the way, someone drilled out the arm and ring for a pin to lock the chainring to the crankarm.

Any idea of the vintage of your bike ?

Alex

old bike

I doubt if the ND model D hub is original to your bike, I think they came along later. Yours might originally have had a model A or perhaps a C.

the bike must have been fixed originally, I'd guess with the front brake set-up.

nice frames there alex, I like the cargo rack too. Al tubes? it looks brazed though. how heavy is it?

imfastareyou: Interesting that this bike might have been fixed. I was wondering about that, esp w.r.t. to front brake.

Any clues to how old this bike might be ? Any sources out there for a fixed rear hub of the right vintage ?

Cargo rack: it's brazed 4130, mostly 0.028 wall. Didn't weigh it, but it's probably a few pounds. The customer requirement was to be able to carry a case of beer. Since then he's told me he's had up to 60 pounds in it. I'm glad I didn't go any smaller or thinner on the tubing.

Alex

Back