When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing Bent Fork (legs)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

saladshooter

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Howdy

I've fixed several bent forks but they've always been bent at the tube area never the legs like this one. I'd like to hear some suggestions from folks' experience.

Thanks!
Chad

running into a wall caused it so do it again:
put it up on wheels with tires, turn the front wheel round backward and square it up against a stout wall, slowly lean into it pushing the fork back into position. don't be afraid to forcefully bump it into the wall, but take your time.
it might require some well-placed bumps against the wall to finish but this’ll get it very close. perfect might require the park alignment tools.
you'll not hurt anything, and like it or not this is how bicycle shops have been repairing forks for many moons.

I’ve fixed my share of lugged forks, easily and with success. Tapered unicrown forks are another story: I did one last fall, and spent hours getting it decent. I’m struggling with one now - just can’t seem to get it right. So I called my local bike co-op. Their book price is $24. I’m never going to bother with DIY again, at that price. Might be worth calling a pro and see if they will do it.

The fork on my Mead was a mess when I bought it. Steer tube already welded once. Was bent again as well as every piece of metal used to make the fork was bent, twisted or bent & twisted. Kinda hard to see in pics. Not as bad as yours but can ride it no hands style after straightening.

Had little hope of saving the fork since the steer tube had already been welded once & was bent again. I set the fork on short 2x4's on top of my bench & used C clamps & wood clamps on the under side of the bench top to straighten the legs & steer tube. Put in the vice to untwist the fork crown. Used a carpenter square to make sure everything was straight & adjust accordingly. Worked like a charm.

I think the prevailing wisdom is to apply the same force to the forks in the opposite direction of the force that caused the bend. If you can find someone with a little brute fork jack, you can fix that in a matter of minutes. There are a lot of other methods discussed in the restoration forum as well. It can be done.

Back