When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing Bent Pedals with a Keithbar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It's nice, and I'm all about the tools. But I really fought the last pedal I straightened, and was so proud of myself getting it there. Didn't lose a bearing, either. Let's hear it for the poor bastage that needs it without the tool! LOL!

A great tool indeed. Mine has saved many bent pedals. Just wish he had made them 9/16" with insert for 1/2" pedals....
Although it may not be the best route to go, they do make pedal adapters to put a 1/2 pedal into a 9/16 crank and visy versy. You could use those the adapt your tool for different pedals.

20190702_114630.jpg

20190702_114613.jpg

I have this Multi tool for straightening pedals. I used it last week and it worked great. Pedal stays on the bike. I used it at the top position of the crank arm and loosen the pedal slightly so the bend is up, pushing down on tool
IMG_6193.JPG

IMG_6194.JPG

IMG_6196.JPG

We've had a few pedals that had a bend in the middle (strangely enough) of the shaft. They will present themselves as "locked up" in certain revolutions position, but not in others. Under close internal inspection, you see the middle only is bent. That fix requires a small anvil, and a small sledge hammer, and patience to get it trued up. I've had 4 Torrington ladies pedals that were bent that way. That seems weird anyways because us women don't usually bend a pedal in the middle of a shaft. :p:D

At the local Denver spring swap Keith was selling these pedal straightener tools. I just noticed it's called 'Keithbar' I didn't realize it was his invention... He did a demo for me on a bent pedal that he sandwiched between a couple pine 2x4s in a vise. Screwed the bar onto the pedal and spun it which you could see how bent it was. He positioned the high spot away from him and pulled it towards him and spun it again. Found the high spot again and repeated the process. Spun again and it spun perfectly on its axis, done. Took a total of 30 seconds.

Well I finally tried it this afternoon on a killer original Persons Majestic teardrop pedal. I didn't want to damage such a cool pedal on my first try and I already had the pedal apart to service. So I decided I would drill a hole in a extremely dense hardwood branch I had in the wood pile. Worked fantastic!

View attachment 1023865

View attachment 1023866

View attachment 1023867

View attachment 1023868

View attachment 1023869

View attachment 1023871

View attachment 1023872

View attachment 1023873
@saladshooter can you still get ahold of Keith to see if any of these tools are still available?

thanks

Back