When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing Flat spot S7 rim help.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Stanley

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Sorry ahead of time. I'm sure the information is here. I cannot figure out how to search specific threads. I get all types of unrelated threads.

20210802_222631.jpg

20210802_221416.jpg

I will give this one a go. The bad news is it looks like it will not come back. Also consider the fact that the availability of a dead straight replacement is high. There are so many people here that have racks full of loose rims exactly like you have shown. The time it would take you to get it to run true may not be worth it. It will never be the same, even if you get it close. Maybe this is why no one responded?
If it was a twenties G&J clincher, it may be worth spending time getting it close to round as possible, but this is not a rare rim. That said, it may be a learning experience to attempt it. I would 1st get a big crescent wrench on it and laterally get the bead back in line horizontally as best you can. The vertical damage is deep, making it one tough cookie to push back outward. Your 2nd task, if you choose to accept it, involves a very large reverse blow with a very large hammer and flat ended hardwood drift. I have in the past, cut out with a bandsaw a block of hardwood that matches the curve of the outside of the rim exactly. Maybe 12" long with a flat bottom and the curve on the top portion of the block. You would then lay the dented rim into the block with the damage facing down, then whack it hard with a big hammer or sledge forcing the rim down into the wood blocks' curve. You could have a friend hold a punch made from a block of hardwood 2" x 2" x 12" long placed directly on the top of the dent while holding the rim in place and then with a huge amount of trust in your aim, allow you to hit the end of this block with your weapon of choice, using it as a punch placed on the high spot of the rim. The force required to dent it like that was immense. It requires an equal amount of force to get it to go back. You should also back the tension completely off of at least 6 spokes around the dent before you hit it, which will give it a better chance of returning to round...good luck!

Sorry ahead of time. I'm sure the information is here. I cannot figure out how to search specific threads. I get all types of unrelated threads.

View attachment 1457451

View attachment 1457452
Buy another hoop/rim. White S7rims with black pin stripe are the most common and amongst collectors least desired. Albeit, I have a few bikes with em. I even swapped out a chrome set years ago for painted. Red,,, on the other had, is hard to find. Unfortunately, value of these, plus shipping, is probably twice what a single one is worth. Ya gotta hate that when that happens. Yet, so, maybe U can find somebody here, local to U, if you put up a wanted ad. And as you are in Shelby town, ya got a got a host of Shelby bike collectors, find them and if they are dedicated to Shelby bikes, maybe U can get a S7 in their scrap pile.

Last edited:
I will give this one a go. The bad news is it looks like it will not come back. Also consider the fact that the availability of a dead straight replacement is high. There are so many people here that have racks full of loose rims exactly like you have shown. The time it would take you to get it to run true may not be worth it. It will never be the same, even if you get it close. Maybe this is why no one responded?
If it was a twenties G&J clincher, it may be worth spending time getting it close to round as possible, but this is not a rare rim. That said, it may be a learning experience to attempt it. I would 1st get a big crescent wrench on it and laterally get the bead back in line horizontally as best you can. The vertical damage is deep, making it one tough cookie to push back outward. Your 2nd task, if you choose to accept it, involves a very large reverse blow with a very large hammer and flat ended hardwood drift. I have in the past, cut out with a bandsaw a block of hardwood that matches the curve of the outside of the rim exactly. Maybe 12" long with a flat bottom and the curve on the top portion of the block. You would then lay the dented rim into the block with the damage facing down, then whack it hard with a big hammer or sledge forcing the rim down into the wood blocks' curve. You could have a friend hold a punch made from a block of hardwood 2" x 2" x 12" long placed directly on the top of the dent while holding the rim in place and then with a huge amount of trust in your aim, allow you to hit the end of this block with your weapon of choice, using it as a punch placed on the high spot of the rim. The force required to dent it like that was immense. It requires an equal amount of force to get it to go back. You should also back the tension completely off of at least 6 spokes around the dent before you hit it, which will give it a better chance of returning to round...good luck!
I like orginal parts to the bike...so I took a chance and went after it. Did most of that last night...had those ideas floating around in my head. It took some time tweak, pounding strategically. After an hour or so....jumped on at midnight and took a ride.

Most give up. I would also have tried to fix it. Good going! So very rewarding to be able to challenge yourself with a tough task like that and end up saving it. I would call you a 5-star mechanic pulling that off! Didn't take long either...☯️

I like orginal parts to the bike...so I took a chance and went after it. Did most of that last night...had those ideas floating around in my head. It took some time tweak, pounding strategically. After an hour or so....jumped on at midnight and took a ride.
How did it ride?

I can't be leave it....but it rides fantastic. I was able to get it almost straight too. Before and after...heated every nut. It was a blast.

Screenshot_20210802-193237_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210802-193257_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210803-011352_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210802-193043_Gallery.jpg

20210806_141818.jpg

Back