When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flared Fender Motobike Help Needed - Schwinn, Snyder ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was also thinking Westfield or Consolidated. The frame has Davis attributes, and I have read in the Davis thread that some of their frames had no serial number stamped. The fork looks Westfield although Davis had a similar design w/o truss plate in their lineup. Sprocket s/b in sprocket compilation & will look there as well Brant...
Shelby made Davis? This is a tough one.

@catfish any thoughts? Ed, have your ever seen this flat top fork being used by Westfield. @Goldenindian has documented several bikes with this fork, he said they were all badged differently but a few for Chicago retailers.

Screenshot_20180924-194157_Samsung Internet.jpg

Frame looks like a mixture of the old with the new— older lug frame construction along with then-new smaller double drop bar frame(?). The taper on the long lug looks peculiar. Does the long lug look like one piece, or has it been extended or a repair? Who all even so-extensively used lug frames that late?

Agree with Pete about Consolidated Toledo badges might fit the holes.

Chain ring sprocket reminds me of those in teens EC Simmons’ hardware catalogs.

Last edited:
Nice find Brant. The Westfield Motorbike frame I found has the same fork crown, brazed truss rods. I've never been sure if this was a parts bike or the original forks for this frame but they seem to both have a few scraps of matching original red paint so...? With an poorly stamped letter on the serial number the date has always been a question too. Was it mis-stamped E?

The taper on the long lug looks peculiar. Does the long lug look like one piece, or has it been extended or a repair?
This is a one piece lug Phil. I have never seen any others like it. Again, finding another with this type of lug and badge would solve the mystery.

Frame looks like a mixture of the old with the new— older lug frame construction along with then-new smaller double drop bar frame(?). The taper on the long lug looks peculiar. Does the long lug look like one piece, or has it been extended or a repair? Who all even so-extensively used lug frames that late?

Agree with Pete about Consolidated Toledo badges might fit the holes.

Chain ring sprocket reminds me of those in teens EC Simmons’ hardware catalogs.
You reminded me of this Simmons bike with the same forks at LuxLow.
"This Vintage 1919 Autocycle Motorbike was the Top of the Line Bike offered from the E. C. Simmons Hardware Stores. Simmons Hardware was founded by Edward Campbell Simmons in the 1870s in St. Louis, Missouri and grew to a highly successful nationwide hardware chain. Simmons hardware flourished up until 1922 when it was acquired by Winchester Repeating Arms Still Badged Simmons and then acquired by Shapleigh Hardware Company in 1940 Most Likely no longer Simmons but Badged Shapleigh. Simmons Hardware offered few different Bike models and parts to go with them. Some Later Simmons Bicycles were made by Colson Corporation, but this early one remains a mystery, to the best of my knowledge it is made by Michigan City Excelsior. Simmons was a well trusted hardware store and sold a lot of bikes that are unique with quality construction."

Back